DIY Anti-IC project

I'm sold on Speltz Anti-Cable and Anti-IC products; they're great. First tried a set of biwire cables for my Magnepan speakers (bought the wire bulk from Speltz @ $1.25 per foot and using in twisted format with no termination), then a 1/2-meter set of Anti-ICs for between preamp & amp (TAD-150 and 60 respectively). Later I decided to install another set of the ICs between CD player and preamp, and inquired about buying the IC wire in bulk form in order to make'em myself (construction of these looked easy enough), but was told this particular gauge of wire is not available for purchase separately.

So, I was on the verge of ordering another 1/2-meter set, then one night while listening had a brainstorm: Why not construct a set of "super" Anti-ICs from the heavier gauge Anti-Cable speaker wire? Since my amp sits on top of the preamp, a 16" pair would be more than enough length, and then I could use the 1/2-meter set I already owned for between CD & preamp. So, I ordered 10' of bulk Anti-Cable from Speltz and (4) Neutrik RCA connectors from Parts Express ($1.75 each). I spiraled the cable around a 3/8" dowel rod, and used a single run of wire through the middle to complete each cable. Upon substitution of my newly-concocted "Anti-IC Plus" interconnects for the standard Speltz version, there was an immediately noticeable improvement in bass depth and impact, along with increased dynamics throughout the range and a bigger and more open sound stage.

I would not have written about this if the difference were less than subtle, in fact, I am one that is not a big believer in "cables can make a difference" (old-school engineering mentality) - But for the cost of $20 for the materials needed to make these interconnects, I urge any DIY'er to give it a shot - You'll like'em. (Email me for a photo of the finished cables if curious.) -Gary
ggeers222
Don't have any idea where this same wire can be sourced today; I obtained my spool of the stuff back in '78, the year it was manufactured. There's a mystique surrounding the very pure copper that was made by Bel Tel all those years ago, and the very thin gauge indeed belies what its capable of in terms of full frequency spectrum presentation. (I never would have believed this if not hearing it for myself - That's why I asked several of my friends' trusted ears to back me up on my findings.)
47 Labs Stratos OTA cable was developed by a phone company. 26 gauge - tiny solid core copper wire with a huge sound.
Sounds like the CAT5 speaker cables by Chris Venhaus of VH Audio, doesn't it? http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
Lewinskih01, those are some really wild lookin' cables! And you've just jogged my memory that about 20 years ago I made speaker cables from old 1/2"-thick 50-wire round SCSI cable - The separately-insulated wires were silver-coated copper, and I separated these 25/25 at each speaker terminal. The pair was about 6 feet long. The sound? Wretched! Thin, shrill, and practically bass-less... All that trouble to strip those 200 wire ends and for naught. So who woulda thunk after all these years that Speltz's solid-core Anti-Cable would be the cat's meow? Or that a single solid-core 26-gauge phone wire for an interconnect would be the lion's roar? :)
"Gary -

These might be magical.

Have to switch back to the Opera Billie ICs to confirm (though I have a good ear, my aural "memory" is short-lived), but this is my thought from within about the first 30 minutes of listening tonight.

I'd been listening the the Opera ICs since I got the equipment set up last Thursday. I think I know what things sound like with the Operas based on the last week's listening.

There are two output jacks from the Cyber 50 pre-amp. Have had the Avatars running from Output 2 but unconnected to the amps from day 1. Listening to the Opera Billies from Output 1.

Plugged the Avatars into the amps tonight.

Thought things really came alive... the music opened up and seemed to float.

More air & space, separation & detail (and on bass) without harshness. More stage depth.

I have to go back and run the Billies again but the initial impression is very, very favorable...and this is right 'out of the box'.

Maybe 3 hrs as I write this."