Gain Question

I may not understand what is going on with my vinyl setup.

The chain goes as follows -

Ortofon Per Windfeld Cart .3 mv output
Herron VTPH-2 phono stage 66 db of gain
Cary SLP05 preamp 10 db of gain.

Sound is great but in order to be at a moderate listening volume, the volume nob on the Cary pre must be almost maxxed out. How can I fix this?
markus1299
Thanks Al for sorting this all out for me and, others that are much more knowledgeable than myself, for adding significant things to look at in my system. The vinyl sound is enjoyable at present but every once in a while there is that specific cut that you would just like to boost a little bit and I don't have that option. Was kinda lookin for an easy tweek but doesn't look like thats going to happen. Maybe a cart with higher output would help. I'll have to experiment, thats half the fun.
Thanks guys!
FWIW, HO mc carts are "generally" a poor compromise. To get the higher output, you need more windings on the coil, whoch makes it less responsive. You might want to check out one of the MM carts that are discussed on the MM vs MC thread that Raul started. You might even ask him to recommend a cart that matches well w your arm/tt.
consider that the SLP-05 has a rated nominal output level of 2V, and is presumably designed to be compatible with your CAD120S. That would suggest that the unspecified input sensitivity of the CAD120S is significantly less than 2V, to assure that the SLP-05 can drive it to max power.
People are making assumptions about the input sensitivity of your power amp. These assumptions could be right, or they could be wrong. You should contact Cary and find out what the actual spec is. This will determine whether your preamp is capable of driving your power amp properly. This is a must know fact if you are to logically pursue any solution.
The vinyl sound is enjoyable at present but every once in a while there is that specific cut that you would just like to boost a little bit and I don't have that option.
Which prompts a further thought. Records are cut at different levels. If you sense that those specific recordings are cut at lower than average levels perhaps a gain increase (via a different cartridge, or tube rolling, or some other means) would help, without changing to a more powerful amp.

Contrasted with that, though, would be the situation where you want to increase the volume setting due to the recording having very wide dynamic range. An example being well recorded symphony orchestra, where the average level may be fairly low, but brief orchestral peaks very high. If that is the type of recording you find yourself wanting to turn up higher, more power may be called for, to prevent clipping on the peaks.

Good luck!

-- Al