USB vs dock for iPod on Peachtree units?

I am looking at the Peachtree Audio Decco 2 vs iDecco. The main difference I see in the specs is the iDecco has an iPod dock and also USB connection capability for an iPod, whereas the Decco 2 has only the USB capability for iPods.

What is the difference between these connections in terms of passing the iPod output through the DAC/Preamp stages and the resulting sound quality?
jimthewebguy
I just got word from a dealer in Japan that the iDecco will be here in two weeks, but they are asking a higher price for it than for the Nova, making it about 2X the US price. It looks as though I'll need to wait a few months for the price to lower or import one from the US myself.

This pricing could be damaging to Peachtree's attempt to get popular here in Japan, as anyone who looks online can see obviously that the iDecco is supposed to be cheaper than the Nova.
Yeah, I can definitely tell the difference without the tube in my system. My speaker/amp combo is very revealing of components down the line. I can easily hear the difference. The sound is brittle and etched on the highs without the tube, the midrange is a bit leaner. I use the tube section to preamp a pair of speakers in my bedroom, they are driven by the idecco's amplifier. They sound much better with the tube on. I use the DAC direct to tube preamp in the living room because it is superior to the idecco's pre. Tubes flesh out the sound in both instances...
That's good to know. In my Njoe Tjoeb CD player I can swap tubes, and I tried some different types and found one that is perfect for my ears.

Is the tube in the iDecco swapable?

Is the tube circuit self-biasing?
Yes, there are a few tubes that can be swapped. I've yet to try that. There are no biasing pots, so I imagine bias is not an issue...
If you can swap tubes, try it! Two types were included with my Njoe Tjoeb (it was used), and after trying both I searched the forums for people's opinions and found one that was really perfect for me. It doesn't cost a lot, takes seconds to swap, and the resulting sound differences are very interesting.

I'm now discussing iDecco prices with dealers here vs getting one shipped over from USA. Hope to have one here soon.

By the way, I'll be using the iDecco mainly in my computer room, which is like a small office where I'm stuck for too many hours/day. For bookshelves right now I've got Quad 12Ls, Rogers 3/5as, B&W 805Ns, and Yamaha MPS7 monitors around the house. I was thinking of using the Quads at my desk for a while and then later changing to either Adam a7s or Quad 12L actives (the latter not available in Japan).

Any idea how the iDecco preamp would sound with actives like these?

Anybody else care to join in here?