Opinions please on a starter audiophile system?

I am in the process of completely revamping a long standing 2 channel stereo system consisting of older Polks, big box store sony cd / amp.
I suppose I could classified as a "newbie" to audiophile components but believe I can drastically upgrade with a desired budget of $4K.
Would love to hear opinions and thoughts on amp/cd/speaker components that fit that budget.
Have researched much, auditioned little, though trying to finally go hear, make a choice and get off the audio merry goround.
Musically we listen to a variety of stuff - jazz, folk, rock, jambands, lots of archive.org stuff. Logistically, the system will reside in the living room 14x 18 of a 9 foot ceiling'd post and beam house with open floor plan. HELP? Much thanks.
sjwsjw999
You can get a lot of stereo for $4000. Keep in mind that it will sound very different at home than in a store. Don't be afraid to drag an amp and pre around to test speakers or even bring gear home to try on your speakers.
I'd revamp the entire system. Spend equally on each piece. Do you need dvd instead of cd? Most blue ray players make excellent cd players. Speakers have changed a lot in 20 years. Small satellites with or without a sub can be great. Don't get cheap on the stands though. Finally, do you want radio? You can always add a really cheap tuner but it may be much cleaner to be built into a pre.
Two suggestions. Check the budget minded systems to see what's possible. There are some great systems designed to suit a range of tastes in here.
Next suggestion is to make a few purchases from sellers with good feedback and see what you think. The experience of trial and error in your own environment is invaluable IMO. This method has worked for me. My system was put together within your budget but has a MSRP way above.
Make that three suggestions, enjoy the music.
$4,000 is plenty of money to puit together a VERY fine-sounding system.

1st, I'd settle on some speakers. I am (quite) biased here, Ifind my Gallo Reference 3.1s to be the best all-around speaker in its price category. They can be found here on A'gon for $1500 - 1800 per pair all the time.

Now, we need a good, "ballsy", high-current amp to drive the Gallos. I have had some very good experiences with the NAD brand. They have massive power supplies to provide a good measure of headroom and their high-current design will mate up quite well with the Gallos.

80 Watts/ch $169:
================
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1279140013&/NAD-2200-Power-Amplifier-–-Cla

150 Watts/ch - $475:
====================
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1278950998&/NAD-C272-

Finally, you need a source. The Oppo 83 SE is getting stellar reviews from all who have heard it, and the price is quite reasnable for the sound and build quality of the unit. Purchase directly from OppoDigital.com for $499 for the "regular" edition and $899 for the SE version. The SE has the latest Sabre ESS DACS, supposed to be about the best in the world for 2-channel listening.

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/

If you add all this up:

$1,800
======
$2,469

=OR=

$1,800
======
$2,869

This leaves you PLENTY OF money left over to get some nice cables and perhaps even a nice rack. I can absolutely guarantee that either of these systems will knock your socks off with their sound quality and ease of setup and placement of the speakers.

Best Wishes,

-RW-
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm
All of my suggestions below is for new equipment available at *DMC Electronics(link above).You get peace of mind knowing that you have a warranty and the option(in most cases) of sending them back if they don't work for you.You might want to check into some of their "B" stock gear also for more savings.Give them a call,they can answer all of your questions.This is a system that will give you many years of listening pleasure.So here we go......

Speakers..........PSB Image T65 Sierra $799.00/pair
Source............NAD C565BEE CD Player $799.00
Power.............NAD C375BEE Integrated Amp $1299.00
SubTotal.....................................$2897.00
Throw in a few hundred for decent cables.....$300.00
Throw in a few hundred for a decent rack.....$300.00
Total........................................$3497.00
Shipping might be negotiable.

*Disclaimer...I have no affiliation with DMC Electronics.I think they sell great gear at great prices.
Two suggestions. Check the budget minded systems to see what's possible. There are some great systems designed to suit a range of tastes in here.
Next suggestion is to make a few purchases from sellers with good feedback and see what you think. The experience of trial and error in your own environment is invaluable IMO. This method has worked for me. My system was put together within your budget but has a MSRP way above.
Make that three suggestions, enjoy the music.