Opinions please on a starter audiophile system?

I am in the process of completely revamping a long standing 2 channel stereo system consisting of older Polks, big box store sony cd / amp.
I suppose I could classified as a "newbie" to audiophile components but believe I can drastically upgrade with a desired budget of $4K.
Would love to hear opinions and thoughts on amp/cd/speaker components that fit that budget.
Have researched much, auditioned little, though trying to finally go hear, make a choice and get off the audio merry goround.
Musically we listen to a variety of stuff - jazz, folk, rock, jambands, lots of archive.org stuff. Logistically, the system will reside in the living room 14x 18 of a 9 foot ceiling'd post and beam house with open floor plan. HELP? Much thanks.
sjwsjw999
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm
All of my suggestions below is for new equipment available at *DMC Electronics(link above).You get peace of mind knowing that you have a warranty and the option(in most cases) of sending them back if they don't work for you.You might want to check into some of their "B" stock gear also for more savings.Give them a call,they can answer all of your questions.This is a system that will give you many years of listening pleasure.So here we go......

Speakers..........PSB Image T65 Sierra $799.00/pair
Source............NAD C565BEE CD Player $799.00
Power.............NAD C375BEE Integrated Amp $1299.00
SubTotal.....................................$2897.00
Throw in a few hundred for decent cables.....$300.00
Throw in a few hundred for a decent rack.....$300.00
Total........................................$3497.00
Shipping might be negotiable.

*Disclaimer...I have no affiliation with DMC Electronics.I think they sell great gear at great prices.
Two suggestions. Check the budget minded systems to see what's possible. There are some great systems designed to suit a range of tastes in here.
Next suggestion is to make a few purchases from sellers with good feedback and see what you think. The experience of trial and error in your own environment is invaluable IMO. This method has worked for me. My system was put together within your budget but has a MSRP way above.
Make that three suggestions, enjoy the music.
Get the all new BOSE acoustic wave music system series two and put a better ac plug like a wattgate on the end of the bose's ac power cord....you just saved a lot of money now!
I'm pretty sure this will fit in $4K:

Zu Soul loudspeakers - $1800/pr. Call up Zu and beg to be grandfathered in on the promotion that gets you the Superfly Edition for the regular price. But if they just can't, you'll be good to go with the regular model.

Jasmine Piano EL34 integrated amp - you'll have to check with cruzefirstaudio.com about the price but I think it's about $1300.00. Everything Jasmine makes sounds exceptional, and truly sensational for the price.

Oppo BDP83SE universal disc player - $899.00

If you can scrape up a bit more, get a set of Yeil Spike Sound Will magnetic levitation footers for the Oppo. You'll need the 10-20kg capacity set. Under the stock feet at each corner, these seriously upgrade the Oppo's sound and it's not the least bit subtle.

Use stock power cords and ICs, and feel free to use 16 or 14 ga. zipcord for speaker cable until you can peel off some cash for upgrades there. This system will yield beautiful music indefinitely, and will in fact improve for about the first three years as it is played in.

Phil