Opinions please on a starter audiophile system?

I am in the process of completely revamping a long standing 2 channel stereo system consisting of older Polks, big box store sony cd / amp.
I suppose I could classified as a "newbie" to audiophile components but believe I can drastically upgrade with a desired budget of $4K.
Would love to hear opinions and thoughts on amp/cd/speaker components that fit that budget.
Have researched much, auditioned little, though trying to finally go hear, make a choice and get off the audio merry goround.
Musically we listen to a variety of stuff - jazz, folk, rock, jambands, lots of archive.org stuff. Logistically, the system will reside in the living room 14x 18 of a 9 foot ceiling'd post and beam house with open floor plan. HELP? Much thanks.
sjwsjw999
there's no right or wrong on this subject, of course, but if i had $4k i'd start with the speakers and then match amp/source. given your room size/budget, perhaps a nice floorstander like psb imagine/totem hawk/revel f12?
Talking used, for speakers I'd think about Triangle floorstanders or vandersteen 2ce sigs at under $1K. Add a good integrated like a VAC Avatar or a Cary SL80 for $2K. That leaves you about $1200 or so for a CDP and cables. At that price point I would seriously consider the used Cary 303/200 but there are LOTS of choices. You'll only need 1 pair of i/cs and a pair of speaker cables, but used for $100 each there are tons of very good choices.
I agree with those who say the speakers should come first. If you don't like the sound of your speakers, you won't like the sound of your system, no matter how good the rest of it is.
The sound of the speakers change every time you change electronics. Those Polks will sound fine with some good electronics. Most dealers will allow you to audition electronics. He can see for himself.