Which is more accurate: digital or vinyl?

More accurate, mind you, not better sounding. We've all agreed on that one already, right?

How about more precise?

Any metrics or quantitative facts to support your case is appreciated.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmapman
Interesting question, Mapman, but I don't think that it has an answer.

Since there are a great many ways in which each medium and its reproduction can be inaccurate, how does one weight each of those ways relative to the others, and tally up a net balance?

Even if such a tradeoff could be worked up in a comprehensive manner, it seems to me that the weightings and the net result would vary as a function of the music, the recording, the system, the room, and the listener.

I assume, btw, that you are referring to accuracy with respect to the recording, as opposed to some envisionment of the original event (which would be, and as you probably recall has been, a whole separate discussion).

Best regards,
-- Al
strictly speaking...

i figure analog is seeing as how digital is a sampled representation.
So far direct cut vinyl is probably the best . Redbook CD has a restricted top end compared to the best vinyl and will not reveal the same level of detail but can still sound very good. HiRez has great potential but requires more effort than most of us are comfortable with to get its best. The world is digital at the micro level but analog at the macro so there is no real answer to this question.
I would say vinyl still has the edge. Through the whole process, it also keeps it in the same mechanical vibration format it started out in, and is reproduced by the speakers in that manner, the same as we hear. The gap has closed quite a bit though. I use more digital because of the convenience, and availability.