Are film capacitors directional?

I'm rebuilding a crossover for some Dali speakers. I'm using a mixture of Sonicaps Gen. 1 and Mundorf Supreme caps.

Anyone know if these caps are directional?

Thanks,
Bryon
bryoncunningham
Thanks, Al! Very helpful. I bought a better meter today, so I will try the procedure you described tomorrow and report back.

Bryon
Okay, Al, I think I'm following your instructions exactly, but I'm not getting consistent results. I've tried several different capacitors, and I get a different reading every time. Don't know what I'm doing wrong...

-I checked the outlet and it is definitely grounded.
-I've drained the capacitors by connecting a wire between the two leads and then taken readings.
-I'm using clips to ensure that I have a good connection.
-I've draped power cords from 2 different devices over the caps.

...and still I get constantly changing results. Some of the time, the meter WILL come to rest on a specific number. But when I remove the meter's leads and check again, the number is different. Sometimes the number is positive, sometimes negative, even for the SAME end of a cap. I'm confused. Any ideas?

Bryon
Hi Bryon,

Are you using a setting for AC (not DC) volts? Not sure how you could sometimes be getting a negative number for AC volts.

Also, charge that is stored in a capacitor can sometimes "bounce back" to some extent after a connection that has been used to discharge it has been removed. That can occur as a result of what is known as dielectric absorption. So it would be a good idea after discharging the cap to use the meter to verify that no DC voltage exists across it.

Beyond that, it may be a good idea to tape the power cord in place on the capacitor, to be sure that its exact position relative to the capacitor doesn't change as the leads are being removed and applied. And also try to keep the test leads as far away as possible from the power cord.

Also, let us know the make and model of the meter, and I'll try to take a look at its description, which might give me some further ideas.

Best,
-- Al
Are you using a setting for AC (not DC) volts? Not sure how you could sometimes be getting a negative number for AC volts.

I had it set for DC. My only defense to the charge of idiocy is that the meter is new to me as of yesterday, and I accidentally threw away the instructions with the packaging, and the manufacturer's website has been down all day. Even so, I find myself guilty as charged. I am an idiot.

The meter is a Gardner Bender GDT 3190. I don't think it's sensitive enough to perform this test. So I need to go out and buy another meter. For the love of...

bc
At the defense electronics company where I spent my career, in the forms that were used to report the results of investigations into test failures or other equipment problems there was a failure category entitled "operator error." That category was frequently applicable, despite the strong qualifications of those performing the tests :-)

I can't get through to the Gardner Bender site either, but it seems evident looking at the photo that for AC volts only 500V and 200V scales are provided. I don't know how many digits are provided, but yes, it seems a safe bet that the meter isn't sensitive enough.

Being a dedicated audiophile isn't easy ...

Best,
-- Al