Why does better power = better sound?

Why does improving power quality improve sound quality?

I’m not asking to start an argument about power cords or wall outlets. Please let’s not go there. I’m asking because I’m hoping to learn some technical explanations for the effects of power quality on sound quality. I think I already understand how…

1. greater current availability = greater dynamic range
2. reduction of RFI/EMI = better signal to noise ratio

…but what about these…

3. ???????? = greater perceived resolution
4. ???????? = more realistic instrument timbres
5. ???????? = more precise imaging

Are differences in resolution, instrument timbres, imaging, etc. somehow reducible to current availability and/or powerline noise? If so, HOW are they reducible?

Again, I’m hoping to get into technical specifics, not polemical generalities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
There are several essays or presentations on this Jim Brown website that apply to interference and chokes. recommended reading.

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
I've put in 5 direct lines with 10 gauge romex and upgraded receptacles. The difference is amazing. I would like to the take the next step forward and was looking for recommendations. I have tried a couple of power conditioners, but for whatever positive affect they had, they also had drawbacks - less dynamics or a veil around the music. Great thread.
I am still waiting for the WA chips to arrive, 4 fuse, 2 transformer and one tonearm chip.

I'll post my impressions later.

What I can say is that anyone looking for a replacement receptacle,should try the Furutech GTX D - gold.

I have used several hospital Hubbels,an FIM, and Shunyata ZR1,and so far the Furutech is the one that tops them all.
I'm told it gets better with continued usuage.

I once owned a Sunfire true subwoofer, that despite it's dancing across the floor, did add extra bottom end slam to my CLS's when I had them.

What I didn't like was the edginess that I seemed to get thru my system when I used the Sunfire.

I have a few electrical engineer friends, and one brought over a quality Fluke and we measured the power on the line with the sub in and out of the system.

With the sub in, the chart was very ragged, clearly the sub was spewing all kinds of hash and noisey distortions back into the line, which the other components were being affected by.I am not saying the Sunfire was a flawed product it did what it was supoosed to do, but at a cost.It added more than just bass.

At that time I wasn't using dedicated lines,nor any power conditioning as I felt like others, that it was a waste of money.

The absence of distortions on the print out when the sub was unplugged and out of the system was a deal changer for me.

Further proof that bad power can equal bad sound, and that even some components are the culprits, never mind your neighbour with the basement full of electrical motor powered wood working tools.
My chips came in!

I wasn't expecting them to do much, and to be honest I need to play a few lps before I pass judgement on the tonearm/cart chip, but the combination of the fuse and transformer chips has made me very happy.

On the cd -Is A Woman- by Lambchop, the instruments/vocals were less bunched up and a few times I got almost a surround sound expereience from my 2 channel rig that I haven't experienced before.
So for me the transformer and fuse chips and the Furutech GTX receptacle have been successful upgrades.
...Further proof that bad power can equal bad sound, and that even some components are the culprits, never mind your neighbour with the basement full of electrical motor powered wood working tools...

It is? A power cord is a passive device and cannot prevent a weak power supplies back EMF into the power line unless it is a choke equipped cord, which is hardly an expensive addition. Copper and insulation can't do that.

Everything cable related gets better with "age" (except us, I guess) and nothing gets worse with age in audio. Astounding!

I've worked with dielectrics for 30 years and every one gets worse (treeing performance, withstand performance, T&E's you name it) with age.

A good dielectric should not be able to "align" a charge as that indicates it isn't pure. Treeing is a common phenomenone caused by impurities in a dielectric. You don't want your dielectric to store a localized charge. It's properties should be very dull and consistent.

Noise in the power-line means nothing. It's what come out of your power supply on the DC rails that matters. TAHT is the food your electronics eats. The power supply should have ripple and transient supression that correspond with common line noise. Measure your DC rail for 24 hours and THEN decide what's a problem.

Better yet, measure a swept A/C test tone at the amplifier output and sync it to a clock and measure the difference (flip the phase) and see the remainder and try to line it up with the DC output noise. I just see a lot of wishing and no testing. I don't think the guys that sell all those cables and such really want you to, either.

Looking at the power cord is like going to the doctor and having your butt examined for a cold. We're looking at the wrong end first. Why go downstream until you prove imperfection at the destination and work back from there? I just don't see any data that supports the supposition(s) on power cords or even line conditioners. Sure, they get rid of noise...but that doesn't mean the unit you plug-in didn't too, or to a degree that is sufficient to be inaudible. So of course they "work" but that still doen't mean they do anything.

I'd also like to see the results of the DC Vcc on a transistor bank varied with noise components and measure the A/C output distortion component. What does it take to be heard? Do a double blind random tests. This would be VERY interesting.