Audiogon members poor packing and shipping damage

Need to get this off my chest and hope it will help other members avoid shipping damage claims. I recently purchased a preamp and a pair of Magnepan 3.7 speakers off Audiogon. I am going to keep this general and leave out the member names. Both items arrived damaged and IMHO the root cause is largely very poor and careless packing.

The 3.7's had the ends of the box secured with one narrow piece of strapping tape on each end which came off during shipping and the ends of the box flapping wide open along with the outer box loose where it should have been taped. With the preamp the seller did not bother to remove the tubes or install the protective screws on the bottom that protect the internals from shipping damage.

In both instances I have taken on trying to get the problems resolved, so far at my expense, and I am just aggravated at having to do this.

I would never think of letting any piece of audio equipment leave my house so poorly packed. I routinely take hours to carefully pack and also to document the entire process with digital pics so if there are any issues with shipping I have good documentation. If you read my feedback it reflects the extra effort I take. No one will ever be able to say there was shipping damage due to my poor packing job and no box I pack is going to arrive open.

I don't know how other Audiogon members feel about this or how many other members have experienced this problem but I just want to point out that sellers have an obligation to the buyers to pack the items correctly. As we all know shipping damage claims are a super pain for all involved and especially the buyer. Right now I've got one claim going with a major shipping company and it will be weeks if I am lucky to get a resolution and my money back and also get the 3.7's back from the factory.

Just a ton of inconvenience and aggravation when I should have been able to unpack, set up, and enjoy.
etmerritt33
I completely agree with you. It is the sellers obligation to properly package all items to withstand the stresses of shipping. I have routinely created custom internal packaging to replace broken-down factory shipping materials in order to insure the buyer received the item in the best possible condition.

I too have excellent feedback that reflects the efforts I always put into packaging.

I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. It is completely unnecessary. A little extra thought and effort, plus a few dollars in extra shipping materials, could have prevented all of this hassle.
I also agree with you guys. I go out of my way to OVER package and make sure the item will arrive in perfect shape.

I need to get this off of my chest: I have been buying ALOT of LP's recently and can't believe the improper way these are shipped! Come on guys, it's not rocket science. Whether it's a piece of gear or an LP, please ship with proper boxes and packaging and taped correctly. GEEZ.
If the seller does not have the original packaging, he should be familiar with the way new products are shipped. In the case of a heavy amplifier, the manufacturer suspends the amp in blocks of foam in a sturdy box large enough to keep the amp well away from the edges of the box. The foam is rigid enough to keep the amp from moving, but resilient enough to absorb shock. This box is then placed in another box with enough packing material between them to absorb shock and keep the inner box from shifting around. If you must use foam peanuts, the ONLY appropriate place is between the two boxes.

I once received a Hafler D-500 (a very heavy amp) that was packed in a light-weight box with nothing but peanuts. The amp was, of course, damaged and protruding from a hole it blasted in the side of the box.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

What do you say to someone who sends an email asking about damage to the corner of an item nearly 4 weeks after it was delivered? Maybe it should have been reported when it arrived??? Just had this happen. I told him to contact the shipper at his end, and that I would help in any way possible from my end. Emailed him again, but no reply.
The item was packaged with great care. If there was damage, the package was dropped from a good height.
A couple of questions, first, was everything packed in original shipping cartons? Second, if there was shipping damage, why did you accept the items? The reason for the first question is that I place high value on original manufacturer packaging, yes it adds to the buying cost, but it's worth it. If you tried to save some dough by buying something cheaper that doesn't have all of it's original packaging....well, you learned the hard way.

I asked the second question because I do not accept damaged items. I have had items damaged in shipping from me in original boxes too, and I've taken returns. So I'm wondering what type of a person would just accept damaged goods. Yes, packaging takes time and effort, but even the best packaging can be damaged in shipping. If it's well packed in original shipping container and damage occurs, the seller should be able to collect on the insurance. DO NOT ship it back without contacting the seller, or the insurance he purchased would become invalid. I've been on both ends, believe me, shipping damage claims are a MUCH bigger pain for the seller.