Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
Swampwalker, sorry, I wrote that Sony mntc. procedure from personal experience and with input from Richard Kern, an early Sony modifier. I have no experience with Denon.
Not sure if anyone is following this thread any longer but my 777ES is still mechanically-functional but appears to have an electronic component issue. After loading, the display will go blank and it just stops working. I have to recycle the "on-off" switch to recover the disc. It will not play, or will do so only for a few seconds. The display is intermittent.

My unit probably also needs the lubercation protocol detailed by Dgarretson but I've had no transport issues.

I've suffered a stroke and am unable to perform ANY repairs / servicing myself, so am looking for the recomendation of a name & contact number for someone who is competent to do so.

I'm hoping to keep this unit in service, its a great transport, an good sounding player and still draws incredulity when folks attempt to lift it!

Thanks for your input.

Triller
Triller-

check out Sony's reapir facility in Laredo TX.
Ask for Adrian.

Happy New Year!
Thx Jfant. I talked to Sony Laredo (but prob not Adrian) prior to my post and they were not confident of having the parts. Round-trip shipping & ins would be on me since well out of warranty if they would be unable to repair - and the fellow I spoke with seemed both highly knowledgable and familiar w/the SCD-777ES.

I'm hoping to find an independent repair facility that will stay "on-task" until the unit is repaired. From what I understand, they are out there - just need to find one!