Dedicated line w/ upgraded parts or power cond?

Which would yield best results? A dedicated power line with upgraded outlet and power cable, or a power conditioner?
rockadanny
Mental, perhaps i have used the wrong electricians in the past, but none seemed to understand looking for the quieter leg, any notion of keeping the polarity consistent, the use of additional grounding, potential grounding differences among different dedicated lines, or even the use of higher hospital grade outlets. Though I'm sure all of those things are within the skill set and knowledge base of competent electrical engineers and electricians for clean power, most residential electricians don't seem to have this knowledge. Thus, my observation, based on my experience.
And when you say 'isolated' ground, my understanding is that code does not permit an isolated ground in the sense that it is separate from the ground for the rest of the service delivered to a residence. I gather that having a separate building, with separate service, may enable me to do so, which is something I plan on exploring in my new location, having already touched base with the city inspector here in Austin about the use of the large Equi=Tech to supply system power in my next room. For what it's worth, I'm also interested in finding electricians here with experience in installing such balanced power systems, but that's another story.
Seems to be confusion when the term ground is mentioned. White or gray, depending on volatge is the neutral and referred to as the ground. Green or bare is an equipment ground and referred to as the grounding conductor. Both carry noise. There is a difference between a dirty power dedicated line and a clean power dedicated line, whereas a dirty power dedicated line will clean most noise from the line, clean power does so much more efficiently.

The normal home owner can get away with a dirty power dedicated line for audio but...some will want to take it a step farther and demand the specs for clean power not only because of the amount of dinero tied up into the equipment but also some of that equipment is delicate and demands clean power.

You are correct in thinking that the apprentice electrician out there jerking romex in a housing complex has limited knowledge, thus the comment 'any good electrician' I made is directed to that electrician with the technical knowledge to pass a block exam for his J-Card. Now with that said, I will say I have run across one or two in my time with that J-card that had no place other than jerking romex simply because they were grandfathered in and able to get a masters licence or J-card but had no tech knowledge, much less able to pass that block exam. They had no business with that card! The electrical field is no different than any other field, it has it's faults.

You are correct with wanting to know just who is doing the work for you and just what kind of experience they carry, thats a given and a must.

I grew up as an electrician in the oil patch then onto the shipyards, from there to industrial plants and large commercial sites. I have done a few residential sites over the years when work was slack but I have never been fond of wood much less romex...lol

Good luck with your new sound room. I am impressed that you're taking the time to research. Cheers
Mental - I'm with Whart on this one - electricians of your calibre, who gained extensive knowledge via the industrial/shipyard fields, have been exposed to a much broader experience than Joe-Bloe household electrician.

I worked on 3-phase switchgear design and assembly for a while and my knowledge was totally different to friends in the electronics field

Your experience on the shipyard probably taught you a lot abour the more subtle intricacies of power due the the higher-tech equipment used and the need for a much more stable and balanced power supply throughout the ship.

To someone like yourself, it is second nature, but for those that only came through the housing industry - they may be less informed and those are the people you find via "yellow pages"

So yes, you should be able to sort the wheat from the chaf IF you know what to look for, but many don't.

I don't think for a minute Whart was painting all "lecies" with the same brush - he just had a hard time finding a good one.
heheh....willie, it's all good. I know your post had to of fallen into that moderator post que.
I notice quite a few of these topics in the tech section. I should probaly spend more time in here helping those inquiring minds.
Anyways, cheers.