Is USB overrated as decent digital source?

Some of the USB DACs or USB-SPDIF converters are really expensive, are they really worth the price?

Is USB overrated?

Lets discuss.

External link --> http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=pcaudio&m=476
mikechai5608
So are we saying that a .wav file is perfect as the information contained has been cross checked several times during ripping (eg better than streaming CD)?
Using a laptop connected via USB to a DAC such as the Audio Note 2.1, must be close to the perfect source???
The CDP manufacturers must be quaking in their boots.
I would much rather have a nice laptop as part of my system than an expensive spinner.
Yep Michael - you have figured it out - what's fascinating is to watch the massively time delayed reaction the industry seems to be taking. Here we are once again post RMAP and post CES and I have seen no coverage about any products that address this - meanwhile Apple blew all the projections out the doo - again - selling iPods. These are not big dots to connect....

Considering that the mid and hi-fi business has been on the ropes for years, if not decades, I find it remarkable that anyone in the 21st century is willing to sit around while their market share evaporates...

BTW IMHO the issue is not the multiple cross checks - its much simpler. Its simply much easier to pull data off a CD then it is to playback a CD in real time. Game over
You've got it Michael!

That's why I divested myself of an expensive single purpose device for a multiple purpose device -- MacBook. It and a Wavelength Ag Brick make beautiful music, much, MUCH more conveniently, and less expensively than my former CDP.
the difference in cost of USB converters is mostly due to four factors:

1) the inclusion of a low-jitter clock, such as Superclock4.
2) external power supply
3) custom software driver (not using the stock Windows driver)
4) optimum design and parts selection, regardless of cost

These four factors drive the cost up orders of magnitude, but also result in sound quality that matches or beats the best transports. It's like the difference between a Samsung $60 DVD player as a transport or an Esoteric.

Yah Steve. Agree with you. There's always a high cost if we want to squeeze the last drop of performance out of something. Out of the 4 points you listed, is No.1 the most costly?

As you said USB is merely a method to get data out of a computer, yet I think it's one of the greatest technology invented, for us computer audio freak. :D
Mikechai - No. 1 is the most costly, but well worth it, particularly the Superclock4.

BTW - I demonstrated my new I2S reclocker, the Pace Car at THE Show two weeks ago in Las Vegas. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes when the jitter is so low to be inaudible. Most audiophiles have no idea how much jitter they are listening to and how audible it is until its gone. This is the real flaw in real-time CD playback IMO.

Steve N.