What format are most people using, and why?

Are most people just using WAV or another lossless format like FLAC?

I have personally used FLAC because of its ability to store metadata like cd and track name info, file sizes being ~25% smaller than WAV, ability to be streamed, and obviously the lossless aspect.

I am thinking about re-encoding my collection and was wondering what other people are using.

Thanks.
stealth403
I see that you are using the Lynx 2. Have you tried to connect the soundcard direct to your pre-amp (or amplifier) using the card's balanced cables? If so, how did it sound like?

I want to get the same card and use its analog outputs. I wonder if this configuration will give me a satisfactory result - good enough to avoid the cost of a digital out/external DAC setup.

I advance my thanks
I use WMA lossless. My only use is home playback at this point - I don't have much use for portable playback. Lossless is a key factor, and as others have said, WAV doesn't do the tagging info.

I don't spend much time on comparing encoding schemes, etc., so I pretty much defaulted into WMA, figuring it was lossless and would be supported forever since it's a MSFT creation. What I would like is a hard-drive-based car system that connects wirelessly to the home network, and syncs with the music files you put in a particular directory on your music server. If I could get that and it needed something other than WMA, I'd go to the trouble of converting. Otherwise, WMA lossless works great, and HD space is cheap enough now that the cost allows you to archive all the music you want to.
I own and love the Lynx 2b I have.

I run this direct into my Pass x-150 using balanced connections. It is signifacantly better than my old trans/ dac combo.

I think the nalaog outs are great on the Lynx 2, and if you factor in doing room correction and crossovers from the computer, it can yeild great sound!
Hi dawnrazor-age, is the "Pass x-150" an amp or a pre-amp. If it's an amp, then you must be using the computer for volume control - what media player software are you using?

I prefer this kind of setup due to fewer components in the chain. The specs on the Lynx on Jitter and S/N are pretty good. I hope the sound is not too analytical, though
Plank,

The x-150 is an amp, and yes, I run straight into it from the lynx.

I agree that it does produce a simple chain, and the volume control stigma about losing bits, etc. just doesnt bear out in listening.

THe Lynx sound is a bit hard to describe. It is not analytical at all to my ears, yet it is very detailed, but still very musical. It is also very neutral and clean but still gets the toes tapping.

I use a program called ACXO as a player, since it is designed to offer digital crossovers, and room correction. It is pretty basic in that it was designed to mimic a highend cdp. So it only does .wavs (with cue sheets) and no playlists. But, it will oversample to 96, has ASIO built in, does cover art, crossovers, and room correction. I primarily use it because it is super simple to setup.

http://pcazeles.perso.cegetel.net/acxo.htm

I also use foobar because it is more flexible and handles different formats and playlists...but, is a PITA to configure right...so I haven't really made the transition to foobar. This is an ongoing process.

Overall, I love the computer setup, and the sound quality is much better than my cdp/dac combo, and I am off the upgrade merrygoround.