Internet radio stations that sound really good

There are 3 I have found whose sound quality stands out.

Bartok Radio Budapest, classical channel which broadcasts at 256 kbps mp3.

Big Blue Radio, 128 kbps AAC+ laid back classic rock channel. You can get the stream off of Shoutcast.com without having to register with their web site.

Great Radio, 160 kbps mp3. Classic rock that rocks. I can only find them at Shoutcast.com. They sound awfully good for 160 kbps mp3.
128x128dnewhous
Like a lot of people in small towns I live out of range of most stations that broadcast classical, jazz or folk. But I live close enough to civilization to have cable internet and it’s my main source for everyday listening. And most of the stations based in large cities have knowledgeable Djs or carry very good syndicated shows.

I used publicradiofan.com to find potential stations. The “What’s On Now” section is sometimes wrong, but it lists hundreds of stations and programs and provides links to the stations‘ web sites and their various feeds.

Two stations I listen to daily are KCSM and KVOD. KCSM has one of the universe’s largest Jazz libraries and the Djs are knowledgeable and professional. KVOD is a classical station in Denver. It doesn’t stray too far off the beaten path and plays some of the same syndicated NPR programs that other stations play but also covers the Colorado classical music scene. Both stations sound great.

XM radio also provides free online Classical feeds that are pretty good.

JPO
RadioIo is a group of 60 Internet radio stations with 60 different formats. Broadcast all at 128bps.
This is not a rant against RadioRio as much as it is an appeal to support Public Radio.

IMHO RadioRio does not stand out from the crowd. Despite the rhetoric on the home page it is pretty much like any other commercial internet station. It has a mediocre mix, average sound quality (whatever the band width may be) and too many offensive commercials.

I listen to Public Radio stations because they tend to have interesting mixes, fairly decent sound quality (some despite relatively low bandwidth) and, generally interesting commentary. And I send them what little money I can because they need help keeping their streams on line.

Just my opinion. Whatever you listen to, enjoy.

JPO