Itunes Error Correction

I have read here and elsewhere that it is advisable to use error correction when ripping into Itunes. For the momemnt, I am a PC user, and I rip to Apple Lossless. When I "checked" the error correction box in itunes preferences, i could not get itunes to rip any tracks. it just quickly skipped over every track. Any thoughts on why this would be?

in any event, how important is error correction? is it merely usefull to clean up pops caused by an imperfect disc, or does it do something beneficial even when ripping a new/clean disc?

thanks for any advice.
jeffreybowman2k
Even though I'm unqualified to address this topic, I'll off my 2 cents. What kind of disc drive are you using? Perhaps iTunes error correction is designed to work on the drives that comes with iMacs or maybe it's OS dependent. Anyway, after reading about EAC and the advice given by the designer of the Wavelength (?) Brick DACs, I enabled my iMac's error correction. It seemed the prudent thing to do. I've had no problems with it and I'm not so impatient that I'd rip a CD at the fastest possible rate at the expense of sonic accuracy. I'll make another stab. Maybe error correction only works when ripping in WAV or AIF files. BTW, I'm only a bicycle mechanic.
I have a Mac and I use error correction with no problem on iTunes ripping to Apple Lossless. Have you tried different CD's to try to isolate why iTunes isn't working on your PC? If you search for advice here and elsewhere, you'll discover that EAC (exact audio copy) is the best ripping software for the PC. Since it is not available on the Mac, I just use the iTunes error correction software, with good results.

Error correction is a big deal, since you want to get all the data as correct as possible when you rip a CD. Even on a clean CD, the laser may not read the data correctly without error correction software, which involves multiple passes of the laser. Since it doesn't cost extra and doesn't take much time, error correction seems worth the effort.
I have exactly the same experience as the original poster. I'm using the current version of iTunes in WinXP/SP2 with all current patches applied.

If you rip CDs into lossless format, iTunes just skips the data from all tracks if you check the error correction option. I've experienced this with several drives from different manufacturers.

If anyone finds an answer elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if they'd post the link in this thread. Thanks!
I hate to revive a thread that is like over a year old, but you should know that I experienced a similar problem ripping discs with iTunes. At first I thought my CD drive was busted so I had it replaced. No change. I wound up updating all of my system drivers, including video card and motherboard chipset and that solved the problem.

This particular system had an Nvidia chipset and video card.