suggest laptop for music storage

Can you please suggest a small inexpensive laptop? It must be easy to use, and easy to set up. The Mac or pc’s sole function would be for music storage; it must have remote control to control music selection and volume. I plan to go usb dac to amplifier.
I would like download music to it in the best quality format.
hemihorn
Will this work with a Mac

I'm not familiar with their service. I'm pretty sure WMA can only be used with a Windows Media Player, and is not convertible to other file formats. Check with someone who knows better. I don't know if it is a true lossless file type either.

Marco
based on personal experience, i strongly recommend using a mac over a PC. The reasons have been extensively documented elsewhere. You can find a decent used ibook G3 or G4 for a few hunderd dollars on ebay. you will want to make sure it is running somethign close to the latest mac OS (OS X) to get the most advanced drivers. Of course, the price will depend on how much storage you want -- and how much storage you want depends on whether you will be storing your files in a lossless format (e.g., Apple Lossless). Based on your statement that you want "best quality" you will absolutely want to rip from CDs in lossless format. There are only a few places that I have discovered to download lossless files. Using an external hard drive is a cost effective way of expanding memory, but just make sure you get one that is very quiet and dependable. I have had mixed results with external HDDs, but the Western Digital My Book seems to be a decent product.

My setup includes a 120G Imac ===> Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC ====> Shindo Giscours pre. I could not be happier with how the Cosecant has performed. I have not listened to the Wavelength Brick (one step down the range from the Cosecant), but I am sure that it is a winner, too.

if you go with a mac laptop (not sure if this will work on a PC), make sure to check out Salling Software's "Clicker" application. You can download this application, install it on a a handheld device (like a Palm)and then use the handheld device as an itunes remote. the application works great.

Finally, don't believe the hype re: "high end" USB cables. So far as I can tell, any cable from a reputable manufacturer will do the trick.
I see eye-to-eye with Jeffreybowman2K's comments, but would add that if you buy a used iBook (good idea as they are plentiful and inexpensive), I'm not sure if they are compatible with the AppleRemote (you listed a remote as a requisite). In that case if you use a music server, like Olive or Squeezebox, you can use one of their remotes. I'd guess your budget won't include that though. I'd also second a vote for Wavelength's gear. I had their Brick USB DAC and it is a very nice DAC indeed.

Marco
Unless there's something I'm unaware of, you're not going to be able to use WMA in anything but a Windows environment. Of course, if you buy one of the new dual core Macs that runs Bootcamp, you can get around that problem. However, then the "inexpensive" part of the equation is shot. I think you're better of sticking with a Mac lossless codec or WAV files. Hard drive storage is cheap and getter cheaper, so I'd do something like Marco suggests.

Will this work with a Mac

In theory, it should, as there is a Windows Media Player for Mac. I have found that WMP for Mac does not play every codec that WMP for Windows does -- but you would think that it would play WMA.

The other thing that would concern me about this service is that the WMA files are rights managed. So, unlike files you rip from a CD, you won't be able to play these files on a device that doesn't support WMA. There may be additional restrictions on the ability to copy the files to a second HDD.