Mac Leopard, iTunes, apple lossless best backup

Hi,
I'm downloading all of my disks to my dedicated music server, all 450 CDs and it is taking forever. My question involves backups. What is the best way to back up _all_ data.

I want to include all the Apple lossless files created for the tracks, playlists and almost as important as the Apple Lossless files, the album artwork I had to assign to about 30% of my CDs.

My layout is:
Macbook w/ 120 GB, -- where the applications and user account
External Drive 1 - Firewire 500gb drive -- all the lossless files
External Drive 2 - Firewire 500 gb drive -- where the backup should be deposited.

Should I just use disc copy for Drive 1 -->> Drive 2 and then manually lay onto Drive 2 the iTunes library files for the user account that created all the files? If so, what directory are all these files located?

Or should I "trust" Time Machine and when Drive 1 fails in the future figure out how to get "all" the data back from the backup drive?

Thanks.
nycjdc
Well, personally I'm not concerned about how the program uses the disk space. What I mean is that I'd use a dedicated disk regardless, and I'd keep it filled with as many incremental backups as I could. So why not let TM do it for me? In fact, it's much more efficient than if I did it manually, since I would back up entire folders or drives as opposed to the individual files that have changed. So I essentially end up with more backups in a given volume. Plus, after 48 hours it converts the older hourly backups to single daily ones, then after 30 days, the dailies to monthlies.

Your other points I confess I don't really understand. The whole point of TM's journalling is that it is always in sync, and that you can easily restore a single file very quickly to any specific point in time. If I accidently delete all my playlists, for example, I just go to the iTunes folder, click TM, pick the point in time I want to go back to, highlight the file and click restore. The advantage, apart from ease, is that I can choose a backup from less than an hour ago rather than last night (or three weeks ago if I'm doing it manually). Of course, you can also do a complete restore from scratch if you need.

I can see someone being wary of using TM because its new; but as for how it works, I can't imagine a better solution.
Everyone, thanks for your input.

Sidssp, I last tried Silverkeeper about 2 years ago when I was back on 10.2.8 OS X. It didn't work so well. I'll have a look again.

Given that'll be somewhat a manual process, I know where my music files are kept -- on my external 500 GB drive.

But what about my user account files? Shall I just include the entire username directory in my backup? And that will preserve any metadata -- ratings info, lyrics, etc., in addition to album art?

Or should i just copy the Library directory w/in the user account area?

Thanks again.
Just an FYI, SuperDuper is not yet compatible with Leopard, though I suspect it will be soon.
I use a software from Prosoft called Databackup.

I program the Mac to wake up in the wee hours of the morning once a week and then schedule the backup just five minutes afterwards.

It works fine and has saved me from a drive failure a couple of times already.

Personally I don't like the way time machine spins up my hard drive all the time. I have had the same frustration with spotlight. I don't like spotlight....a gimmick like Time Machine IMHO.

I am quite used to having the harddrive spin all the time on PC's and even for the whole PC system to get bogged down for no apparent reasons, as something fires up in the background (SVS host is a real CPU hog) ...but this never happened with MAC's...until Leopard.