Mac vs. PC differences to Airport Express?

Are there quality differences in sending music wirelessly to an Apple Airport Express from a Mac vs. a PC.

I have a PC desktop running Windows XP. I stream my music via iTunes to an Apple Airport express, toslinked into my Benchmark DAC-1 (no USB), then analog out to my MF integrated amp.

Would I get better results simply by using a Mac instead of a PC to my Airport Express?

Would adding a USB/toslink converter and going computer to USB converter to DAC be much better, even if I use a cheap USB converter like the Hagman or M-Audio?
thomasedison

I find that the MAC is just all around better when it comes to dishing out the music. The MAC mini has an optical output that is fantastic and plugged into a good DAC is all you need. Also the Transporter is a nice solution.

I tried using a PC/XP with an M-Audio audiophile192 card using s/pif out to my MDA1000 but it sound was dull and did not sound right. I have never heard a PC sound really really good and I don't know why I really wonder about the Microsoft O/S and drivers.
The MAC mini has an optical output that is fantastic and plugged into a good DAC is all you need.

Personally, I would not allow the S/PDIF conversion to be done inside a computer. If you use the Toslink on the MacMini or their towers or laptops then the conversion is being done in noisy electronic environment of the computer. I would bet you'd get an audible improvement by taking that conversion outside of the computer, as it would be with a USB DAC, USB Converter, or better still, a device like Empirical offers that goes direct to I2S which is the native language of the DAC chip.

Marco
The data stream from the AE is identical whether it is PC or MAC. The audio quality is the problem - very jittery. You can get decent "background music" with a glass Toslink, but that's all IMO. If you want to transform the AE into something world-class, then I recommend this:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/frPace-Car.html

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer
Folks, it's Mac, not MAC. A shortened form of Macintosh, not an acronym. MAC is something else (Media Access Control, as used in the term MAC address).
Thanks for all of your responses so far.

Audoiengr: Thanks Steve, for answering my first question. It's good to know that iTunes Windows XP to Airport Express is the same quality (however low) as Mac iTunes to Airport Express.

The Pace-Car at $1400 is pretty steep for me at this time. If I were to eventually invest that much, how would that compare with getting my Benchmark modded to accept USB?

Right now I'm interested in a $200 upgrade. I could get a Trends Audio or equivalent USB/digital converter and go
PC > Converter > Benchmark

Marco and Jax2: I know the Mac platform is solid for USB out. I have an old Mac iBook I could use for that config, or I could buy Windows Vista and stick with my PC. I want to stick with iTunes. I've read that Foobar and ASIO are too much of a headache. Would iTunes for PC w/ Vista equal iTunes on a Mac for USB out?

And would a $200 USB/Toslink converter be better than sticking with wireless to Airport Express. Either one would end up in my unmodded Benchmark DAC-1

Can the Mac Mini be used instead of an Airport express for wireless use? If so, is there any advantage to sound quality over an iBook wireless to AE?