Mac vs. PC differences to Airport Express?

Are there quality differences in sending music wirelessly to an Apple Airport Express from a Mac vs. a PC.

I have a PC desktop running Windows XP. I stream my music via iTunes to an Apple Airport express, toslinked into my Benchmark DAC-1 (no USB), then analog out to my MF integrated amp.

Would I get better results simply by using a Mac instead of a PC to my Airport Express?

Would adding a USB/toslink converter and going computer to USB converter to DAC be much better, even if I use a cheap USB converter like the Hagman or M-Audio?
thomasedison
Steve,
Which would give me better sound:

PC>Airport Express>Pace-Car>unmodded Benchmark DAC-1

or

PC>USB>supermodded Benchmark DAC-1(w/ additional mod to add USB)?

Anybody:
Since either of the above would be done 'down the road', what would be better for now:

PC > $150 USB/Toslink Converter > Benchmark

or

PC > Airport Express > Benchmark?

Any Recommendations for a $100-$200 USB/Toslink Converter?
If you can swing the coin, I'd go with one of Steve's routes over the simple converters. A good friend whose ears I respect heard a demo of the PaceCar at a show and was very impressed. If you have to go with a less expensive option for now, most definitely do not use the Airport express if you want decent sound for sitting down and listening. I've tried to make the AE sound good with several different DACs, but alas, you are limited by the unit itself and the conversion circuitry within the unit that gives you the S/PDIF (toslink mini) assuming you're going for the best sound from the stock unit. I have never been able to get sound I wanted to sit down and listen to from the AE (stock) - if it's background music you are after, it's as good a solution as any and you probably don't have to spend any more. In any case, if you are looking for the best sound from a $200 investment in what you already have go with a decent converter and your Benchmark. Just my opinion.

Marco
TomEdison - the Modded DAC-1 would probably be more smooth and listenable IMO.

Most unmodded gear has sibilance as well as jitter. Eliminating the sibilance is probably more important than reducing the jitter. However, both are needed to achieve a really fatigue-free sound with the best clarity.

BTW, nice invention, the lightbulb, but they are quickly becoming relics.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
agree with KANA , this french flying saucer based on the airport express is the best source i ever own (includes audio aero, wadia, dcs stuff..)

it sounds simply like a very good vinyl player..

and don't trust guys like Steve who are just here to sell their products in every post about pc audio , here and on audio asylum. not a very honest point of view..
Juanitox - you dont have to trust me, although I wish you would.

I rely mostly on posts on the forums - customer feedbacks for advertising. I sell all of my products word-of-mouth. No advertising to speak-of. My advertising budget for the year is about $250. Even with this, I have had a 5 month backlog all year.

I post on these forums mostly to dispell misinformation and prevent people from making bad choices.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio