Why Mac Mini Over Slim Systems Products?

Here are my thoughts. Please let me know if they make sense:

1) Using a Mac Mini for a music server is superior to slim systems duet or squeezebox if you are interested in playing high resolution files (I am).

2) Mac Mini and the Transporter both do high resolution, but Mac Mini would likely provide more universal access to things out there on the web.

3) Now with the ability to use the itouch as a remote control, the Mac Mini has just as much remote functionality as the slim systems stuff. You will still need a screen and keyboard for startup though.

4) It is better to use the USB out of the Mac Mini than the optical mini plug (I don't know why this is true, it may not be true, I've just seen it several times).

IF all these statements are true, then I want to go the Mac Mini route. I have a spare monitor and keyboard. Now I would just need to figure out the DAC question. Please advise re the above. Thanks, Peter
peter_s
Rbstehno-

Any recommendations for a "good quality toslink". I don't even know where to begin looking or what to look for.
Ecruz-

Take a look at:

www.lifatec.com/toslink4.html

before you spend a lot of money on a Toslink cable.
Van den Hul makes Toslink cables with mini jacks on one end and standard on the other, which is perfect for Mac Mini or notebook applications. Unfortunately, my Lavry DAC has what appears to be a slightly non-standard Toslink input and the VDH's is a bit large and wouldn't fit. I now have one from Wireworld on the way. I'm not convinced that Toslink straight out of the computer is workable for me sonically, but I want to see if a better cable will make a difference.

In my system, I would describe the Toslink sound as having a smaller sound stage than USB, less apparent clarity, and whereas USB has a "black background" (perhaps too much so), the Toslink is, uh, not-black.

As I experiment with this stuff, I am finding that you need to give it a good long listening session and not just a back and forth comparison. Some configurations appear to produce listener fatigue. Unfortunately, I don't remember which. (Memory loss may be another side effect.)
Drubin-
How can the background be "too black"? Do you mean, kind of lifeless?

I'm starting out with an inexpensive "glass" toslink and a mini adapter. They should be here early next week. That should tell me if I'm even in the ball park. If so, then I can go from there. If not, then I'll start looking at a USB option.
Here's what I mean by "too black." When the music sounds as if it is being performed in deep outer space, where there is no atmosphere and it is cold and sterile. In contrast to music being made in a performance hall or even in a studio. Hmmm....not a very good explanation, is it? But I do think there is such as thing as a background that is "too black."

Let us know what you find. When using Toslink out of the Mac Mini, open the application called "Audi Midi", choose the external output and set it to 24-bit and 96KHz. You don't have this option with a USB output (at least not with mine), which is limited to 16/44.1.