Why Mac Mini Over Slim Systems Products?

Here are my thoughts. Please let me know if they make sense:

1) Using a Mac Mini for a music server is superior to slim systems duet or squeezebox if you are interested in playing high resolution files (I am).

2) Mac Mini and the Transporter both do high resolution, but Mac Mini would likely provide more universal access to things out there on the web.

3) Now with the ability to use the itouch as a remote control, the Mac Mini has just as much remote functionality as the slim systems stuff. You will still need a screen and keyboard for startup though.

4) It is better to use the USB out of the Mac Mini than the optical mini plug (I don't know why this is true, it may not be true, I've just seen it several times).

IF all these statements are true, then I want to go the Mac Mini route. I have a spare monitor and keyboard. Now I would just need to figure out the DAC question. Please advise re the above. Thanks, Peter
peter_s
If I can use a Touch to control the SB3, that may be the solution I'm looking for.
Whatever happened to fans of Olive Severs?For $1700 you can ge a Terabyte built in and have 4.5 " screen and easy to group buttons.I need to see a Mini in action but don't know anybody who has one.Can you configure the screen for unlimited groups with easy to use controls?The one hesitancy I have is I know Olive has output (USB?) to back things up but I guess it would be somewhat limited if you can get a few USB's and get a Terabyte for $150 going into each one.Any opinions here?Is Olive as dedicate music serve much easier to use?Can you daisy chain more HD's?
Thanks
Chazz
I previously had an Ipod Classic hooked up to a Wadia 170i transport. Couldn't believe the sound. It was hooked up with a good coax cable to my DAC. Due to screen size and convenience I just bought a mac mini and have it connected to my DAC via optical out. I have a glass toslink cable attached to my DAC

Soundwise right now it's not as smooth. The highs are a bit harsher right now. I'm trying to figure out whether it's the cable or the jitter or whether I should switch to coax or USB???
run Mac Mini via USB cable into your DAC. I am doing just that and the sound is very nice. As a matter of fact it's very smooth and not harsh at all. I am not missing a conventional transport. I rip all the music I care about in AIFF and stuff I am listening to casually in Apple Lossless. Very cool stuff. I am controlling all Mac's functions with my Dell laptop(WiFi) and if I want a super cool remote just for iTunes when I play music, my iPhone does just that(artwork and all info is displayed right on the iPhone). I am very happy with the Mac Mini's sound and convenience can't be beat.
Unfortunately my CI Audio VDA2 DAC has only coax/optical input. It was very good sounding with the Wadia transport through coax. I am using a glass optical cable, however am using a mini toslink adapter which I think might be compromising the sound. The rest of my system is an Arcam AVR300 hooked up to MA RS6 speakers. I was thinking of getting a HagUSB or BC Thingee to see about converting the USB to coax