PC vs MAC laptop as music server

Hi All,
Looking for a laptop exclusively for surfing the web and use as a music server.
Will use for ripping CD's and downloading Hi Rez music files (HD Tracks etc..)
Would also use to sync to my IPOD 160gb and connect laptop to ARC DAC7 using USB cable. DAC7 connected to an all Reference ARC system.
Speakers are Verity Audio Parsifal.

Should I go PC or MAC ?
smoffatt
I would go with a PC.

Why?
1 - You can build it yourself to your specifications. Better power supplies for a music server make all the difference in the world.
2 - You can select your case and motherboard. With a PC, you have have insane expansion.
3 - I am not sure Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is MAC compatible. EAC is the best way to rip music from a CD.
4 - Foobar2000 - I am not sure if it is MAC compatible as well. Foobar2000 is the best way to play music on a computer. It even has an Apple Lossless plugin to play these (Apple Lossless) files.
5 - Empirical Audio's Offramp Turbo2 or 3 device for exporting the digital data off your computer - I do not think this is MAC compatible either.
6 - PC will most likely be less expensive

I have over 7 years of experience in computer music server playback. I will confess that I have never used a MAC for it. But because of the above reasons, I'd go with a PC.

Keith
iMac for me. I upgraded the memory and added an external 1TB hard drive. Toslink from the iMac to the Processor. Works great. iTunes is a breeze.
Ripping with iTunes does not compete with ripping with EAC.
Playback with iTunes does not compete with playback with Foobar2000.

Keith
As a Verity Audio Parisifal Ovation owner and someone who recently set up a music server in my system, I vote the LT. I purchased a "refurbished" MacBokk that is used exclusively as my music server. I ended up attaching a 1 TB Licie Ext HD to get all my music copied and that is working out well.

Everyone I talked to before I made the jump said there is a "natural" compatibility with iTunes and Mac. I certainly have not had a problem.

Overall I am so impressed with the state of digital music servers, etc. Going this route has totally transformed the way I listen to music and, more importantly, rejuvenated my love for music! Since getting involved in computer audio my set is going every night and my wife is loving have such an variety of music that is available at the touch of a finger...

To-wit, make sure you have some money in the budget for an iTouch iPod to use for your remote control...its a must!!

Good luck, John
Re Tok20000's first post, above. The following is from Empirical Audio's Web site:
The USB Off-Ramp 3 provides provides a USB computer interface to your audio system with unprecedented sound quality. With support for 24/96 resolution and bit perfect playback from PCs and Macs it is simply the best USB converter.