Help Me Tweak System...

Greetings folks,
I have a working PC based system. I am wondering what I can do to improve/tweak my sound?

PC: custom built PC running Windows XP. Operating system on it's own HD. Data (including iTunes files) on a separate internal 500GB HD

DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic, connected to PC via generic USB cable

Software: Apple Lossless files in iTunes

Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
First, never use iTunes on an XP PC.

Use Foobar 0.8.3 and Directsound or Jriver. Rip to .wav files, dont use compression, not even lossless FLAC.

Then unmap the device that you are using (USB interface) to avoid kmixer. Instructions:

Go to Control Panel - System Hardware - Device Manager - Sound Video and Game Controllers – (your device) - Right-Click and select Properties - Audio Devices – (your device) - Properties - Set "Do not use audio features" and set "Do not map through this Device"

You will need to reboot and then if you change it back to mapped, then you must re-boot.

If you dont have Foobar 0.8.3, then email me.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve,
Thanks very much for the reply and specific suggestions.

Why Foobar? Somebody I know is using MediaMonkey. Would this work as well?

I will try your recommendations and report back.
Steve,

I'm curious why you're steering him away from FLAC or other compression formats? Is this only an XP platform issue in your mind, as I thought the general concensus 6 months ago was compression formats don't impart any measurable sonic degradation (aside from taxing the processor slightly to "uncompress" the file before playback)?

I'm not intending to open up another debate on who thinks WAV is better than FLAC, or ALAC is better than WAV, but I've flipped back and forth between WAV and ALAC on a Mac and there's very, very slight differences. From a resource standpoint, an uncompressed format is doable given how cheap memory is now compared to the past (maybe that's the answer to the question...).
Steve (or others):

A few questions regarding your post.

(1) The latest version of Foobar2000 is v0.9.6.5. Is this version appropriate, or is there a specific reason I want version v0.8.3?

(2) When I googled Jriver, I came up w/ the J River Media Center. Is this what I want?

(3) Could you please explain the function of Foobar, Jriver, and Directsound? I was unclear from your post which combination of programs I would need to replace the functionality of iTunes.

Thanks in advance.
Meanwhile in the land of the simple, here are a few suggestions that I have been successful with.

First, since you mentioned a generic USB cable, there is a growing group who believe that upgrading the USB cable can make a nice difference.

The consensus entry point is the Belkin USB Gold which will set you back all of $15 if you google a bit. Moving up the food chain look to CryoParts, then to Locus Design Group. (Kimber and Ridge also have their proponents.)

I have found all but the most robust DACs (like the MF TriVista which has a massive power supply) to be very sensitive to power cords. There are of course specifically designed digital cords like the VH Audio Flavor 1/2. But most anything upscale should make a noticeable difference.

I have spent a lot of time playing with tweaks like an Aurio, Roller Ball, wood slabs etc. I have found that most of these units - especially the lighter ones - benefit from damping (weight on top) and isolation. I don't see draining vibration as a particular issue. Play with whatever you have around, see what makes a difference then focus on that approach.

To beg the obvious - the DAC is a source. It should have the best ICs in your system between it and the preamp - with the possible exception of the turntable.

As far as the computer itself... I am a Mac guy but I have to believe the following is relevant to PC owners as well.

I keep my Mac, monitors etc on an APC UPS. I use an audio grade power cord to the Mac tower. I installed a an extra USB card so that the DAC has its own dedicated output. Frankly I am not sure what that means in terms of processing but I am sure it ensures full voltage.

I keep all of my audio on a BPT power conditioner. Ideally it will be on a separate circuit from the computer gear. Essential - yes at least hypothetically.

Practically speaking having the PC gear on a UPC and the audio gear on a separate conditioner gets you most of the way there.

The last piece of advice I can give you is to get a Mac Mini for your music and enjoy life. When you need aggravation you can fire up the blue screen of death...