Bluetooth tempo and pitch issues?

Interesting artifact I'm hearing streaming my iPad over a Bluetooth connection. I'm hearing slowing and speeding pitch! Subtle, but it is almost like a turntable with a finger on it some moments. Anybody?
jmacinnis
yeah i guess not a lot of experience with this in AG world. Not quite magic though :) When they originally developed bluetooth, I'm wondering if they were taking us listeners into consideration or just the typical background music types..........(said like a snob)
I have been using a Chordette Gem (from Chord Electronics) for a number of years now with very satisfactory results. I can stream music from my iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch with great ease. I have never experienced anything remotely similar to what you describe.

The Chordette employs an A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) Bluetooth decoder, and is perfectly suited to all but the most critical listening. It is clearly not quite as good as my Wavelength Brick fed by computer via USB, but the difference (while readily discernible) is certainly not dramatic. I suspect it is largely a result of the difference in quality between the two DACs, although the transmission method (Bluetooth vs. USB) may play a small part.

When I first brought up the topic of streaming music via Bluetooth on the 'Gon some years ago, it landed with a great big thud. Nevertheless, I still think the ability to use an iPad or similar device for both storage and playback of audio (especially now with iPads available in 128 GB capacities) borders on the magical. Perhaps, one day, other 'philes will come around and deign to give it a try.

To my mind, the (very) slight loss in quality is easily outweighed (most of the time) by the tremendous increase in convenience. Certainly anyone looking to assemble a high-quality, compact (or portable) system (e.g., iPhone, Bluetooth receiver, powered speakers) ought to give this approach some serious thought.
-
There isn't a 'very slight loss in quality', there's a HUGE loss in quality.

But I do agree with you, it is very convenient. And I use it sometimes when cooking or doing some other activity, but never for serious listening.

Bluetooth involves WAY too many sonic compromises for serious listening.

M_snow: "There isn't a 'very slight loss in quality', there's a HUGE loss in quality."

While it would be foolish to deny your experience, I would be very interested to learn what equipment you are using that allows you to come to such a dramatic conclusion. I'm going to guess it is NOT, for example, the $10,000 Chord CPM 2800 digital integrated amplifier (with Bluetooth capability).

And yes, I realize that this is essentially an "argument from authority" (I've never heard this unit), but I find it very difficult to believe that a highly respected manufacturer of high end equipment would be foolish enough to offer a $10,000 amp that includes a feature that represents a "HUGE loss in quality."

What I CAN say (with complete conviction) is that my far more modest Chordette Gem (at less than one-tenth the price) offers a quite satisfactory musical experience--though one not quite as good as my twice as expensive Wavelength Brick. And I'm pretty sure that if you stopped by for a listen you would be unable to honestly maintain your rather extreme position.
-

Jmacinnis: It would be interesting to know what equipment you are using in your Bluetooth setup. Maybe these are the source of your problem.

While hardly an expert on this issue, I do know that Bluetooth comes in a bewildering array of "flavors," some of which are completely inimical to high-quality audio transmission. The A2DP profile that my Chordette Gem and various iDevices use seems to work quite nicely. Current iDevices are, in addition, Bluetooth 4.0 compliant--which means they use less power, and pair almost instantly with their receivers.

If you've got a couple of days to waste, you can read all about the various Bluetooth specifications here. I suggest taking a couple of aspirins before you start in order to ward off the blinding headache you're almost guaranteed to end up with after the first few paragraphs.
-