Attention to anyone on Texas Gulf Coast

Pay attention to the NEWS like you never did before. Rita is on her way, and it looks like she is heading toward coast of Texas. It is going to be a MAJOR Hurricane. Don't take it lightly. Evacuate if asked to. We, here on Mississippi Gulf Coast went, and still are going through horrors! Our towns are flattend, many many deaths and landscape is changed forever along with our lives. Be prepared. If staying, make sure have a lot of drinking water, for at least a week. Non-perishable food, plenty of candles and it would be great if you can get a generator. Chainsaw will be handy afterward. Make sure to have a plenty of gas, in the car(s) and reserve. Wish you luck!
eldragon
Yes,good luck men.....and the global warming thing is a main consideration of many of the humans on earth.Is it because we think like humans in terms of time/trends/years and not like planets and associated weather patterns who think in millions of years?How bold we are,so advanced to discuss theories[SP] known only to rocks,dirt and some rolling stones....just kidding as I am too young just now,Bob
I think anyone within a hurricane landfall target is well advised to take shelter. Having lived in Virginia Beach for most of my formative years, I've witnessed hurricane damage firsthand- but never above Category 2.

May God bless you and everyone impacted by Katrina.

As to Swampwalker's comment, well as horrible as recent hurricanes have been, this is probably part of a naturally recurring cycle. Peak hurricane occurence, categories 3-5, actually cycles every few decades. While terrible, recent events fall within expected models (unfortunately).

Not saying the Earth's not been warming...that's also a recurring cycle that can be traced back thousands of years. Recently, the Earth's been warming since the end of the last "mini-ice age" in the 1800's.

Is it making hurricanes more frequent? Probably not.

Are we making warming more pronounced through our behavior?. Probably so.
Purist Audio is located only 20 minutes from the ocean in South Texas.

I got an email from them a few minutes ago stating part of the family was headed to Dallas.

Houston was ruled out because it may be in trouble too and hotels in all smaller cities were already filled due to Katrina and Texans who heeded early warning and already evacuated.
Even if no one believes in Global Warming, pretend you do and make the politicians adopt stricter emissions and cleaner air laws. I have scientific evidence that clean air actually allows even inexpensive stereo equipment sound like "price is no object" tube equipment. Jim
During the time of crisis & change in medieval Europe C.1400 the climate of the world changed dramatically within a very short window of time. Scientists are comparing this earths natural climate processes to that of today’s rising temperature through several studies, one being tree ring analysis.