Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Why did you choose the Antipodes over an Aurender?
As it shakes out, those would be the two companies I would look at if I were looking to purchase something today. I looked into a few others but found reasons not to pursue them. I like the minimalist Linux set-up used by Antipodes and how it is optimized ot operate extremely quietly.

There were three reasons I chose the Antipodes;
1. Good feedback - At the time I was looking, their top model (DX) had just come out and all of their lower models had excellent reviews based on sound quality, and Steve Nugent (Empirical Audio) said it was the only unit he had used that bettered his special 2009 mini with Hynes PS, etc.,
2. Expandability - At the time, they had an "extender" that could be used to serve music to any room/system from the main DX unit (they discontinued that and are supposed to be coming up with something "better" but it is taking a long time), and
3. Availability/Price - I was able to purchase a 2TB SSD DX at a discount from an outgoing dealer (they now have new USA representation and are adding dealers).

Since I purchased mine, there have been several rave professional reviews of the DX citing excellent sound quality.

If I were to purchase today, in addition to the DX, I would look at the Aurender N100 or the Antipodes DV Zero, both of which are set up to play music from a NAS. My DX is also capable of playing music from a NAS if I choose to implement a "direct playback" set-up, but, for now, 2TB is more than enough solid state storage for lossless FLAC files. In addition to great sound quality, I like the Antipodes because of the easy on-board ripper, just load a CD disc and 5 minutes later it is copied, stored and cataloged. Dave Clark complained about the Vortex Box interface not being compelling enough in appearance, but it looks and works just fine on my iPad. I haven't seen the Aurender interface, maybe it looks cooler.

The DV zero, when properly set-up, is apparently equivalent in sound quality to the DX, but at a lower price. Here is what they say;
By eliminating internal storage, the DV Zero has been specifically optimised for 'direct' playback from a NAS. The DV Zero achieves a sound quality level that comes close to the DX, therefore offering the ideal solution for people with large music collections demanding the best possible sound quality.
I will close by saying I am completely happy with the sound quality of the DX and happy I purchased one instead of continuing to try and improve my system around the mini. BTW, you can purchase the DX with a SSD up to 3TB in size.
CTSooner

Thanks for the Seven MkII review. This says it all as to how incredible these speakers are.
Mitch2 - I don't disagree with your thought. But I have also spoken with others who feel that a well done computer server is just as good, and this from people have have compared them directly. I am looking at Lumin, Aurender & Antipodes. I don't have the dedicated funds until I decide on speakers to get. I'm assuming that whatever I have currently will only sound better with a dedicated server. But I'm a try before I buy kinda guy (shocker there)! I'll get all three in and see which works best for me, or that my Mac mini is actually better then we all think.

Richfield and CTSooner will be happy to hear that I have an extended audition this Thursday morning to hear the Vandy 7/2. I will report my findings.

I did get to hear the Vivid Giya2 and the Joseph Audio Pearl 3, and neither was for me. The G2 was very laid back and although the base was extended I found it tubby and disjointed from the rest of the sound. Setup and the room where clearly a factor - they have these strange sort of forward firing side ports and side firing woofers and I think the speakers were set up too close to the side and back walls. But they were simply too laid back for my tastes. The Pearl3's had a very nice engaging midrange and did wonders for vocals and piano. I found their highs to be a bit in my face occasionally and the low frequency extension doesn't go as low as I want. What it did have was tight, impactful and musical. They lacked the sense of scale and complexity I am after. With complex orchestral segments I found the speaker lacking union and cohesion.

But they did have a speaker that wasn't even on my list but works fantastically for my needs. But it was set up with mid powered tube gear and really needed high power solid state gear to shine considering its 84-85dB sensitivity. The Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate. I will be going back next week for a second listen. At 250 pounds a speaker there is no opportunity for an in home demo. I gotta do it the old fashioned way and hear them in a store.....

I'm going to try to get back next week to hear them set up with solid state gear.

I'll keep you posted.