Future of this hobby?

I took some time off work, and I read the Jan edition of Stereophile cover to cover today. In the Letters to Editor section people were writing in about what will happen to this hobby as the target audience ages and the younger generation doesn't jump on board. I am 28, and I fear that the concern is definitely real. My friends, fiance, and people my age are in love with their Ipods. That is great that they are into listening to music in whatever manner they choose. My friends and fiance all agree that my stereo sounds good but also feel that stereos bought at discount retail stores fill the same need and have no interest in spending the extra cash.

Also, I went to a couple of Chicago Audio Society meetings to see if I could make some friends that shared my interest. I felt a little out of place though when I was the only person in the 20-30 demographic out of a population of forty people. Further, there may have been one or two people in their late 30s and probably half of the people were over 50.

The only conclusion I can reach on this subject is that lesser products are meeting the needs of people my age, and I don't forsee the younger generations waking up one day and deciding to sell the MP3 players so that they can buy high-end turntables. In 20-30 years as much of the current audiophile population ages and some move into assisted living or other arrangements where these elaborate and space consuming set-ups are no longer wanted or needed, the few remaining young people that actually care will be able to take ownership of kick-ass systems at steep discounts. I along with any kids that I have will have our cash ready in anticipation of that day.
firecracker_77
The "young" don't care about sound quality. True and true when I was young. I did not care then either. I care now. What I expect is the current young will also care about sound quality when they're no longer young. And they'll be saying about the new young then, what we're saying about them now. And on and on and on.
Young people today seem to have so many things going on, and MP3 and other portable devices are convienient for them. I feel that as they get older and settle down, good audio will find some importance to a few. But I feel it will always be kind of a niche market and not main stream. But who knows what the future holds. What we consider very good might become the standard for everyone someday, or maybe something even better. At my age, I doubt I will live to see it, but when you think back over what the world was like in 1905, alot has happened in the last 100 years.
Perhaps when the health benefits of music enjoyment via dedicated listening are quantified and fully understood will people begin to invest in high end audio equipment in greater numbers to practice "preventative medicine."
Grant - Just watched "Broken Flowers" last night (good flick) - There are some short scenes of Bill Murray listening to music on his couch...looks like he's deliberately sitting right in the sweet spot...well, those scenes would make a hilarious ad for your Assisted Living Center.

Firecracker - great post! The responses here have been some interesting reading. That's disconcerting, but not at all surprising about your experience with the Chicago Audio Society. I think your desperate cry for an awakening will not fall upon deaf ears here, as you've seen from the responses already. We feel your pain my friend. Seriously, one aspect of this hobby that has always turned me off is that it seems to be, by it's very nature (or perhaps by human nature) an isolationist pursuit. I will paraphrase...no why even type it again, I'll paste a note I wrote to Grant and a few other A'gon friends just a few days ago on a different subject, but it applies here in an edited form:

People like what they like for reasons that are as different as our fingerprints. The very nature of recorded music is a "coloration" or variant from the moment the sound leaves the source. How you prefer to hear it played back to you, and in what space that effects that playback, is not necessarily going to be the same from person-to-person, and there can be beauty, musicality and enjoyment in oh so many variants. So it does raise my hackles, always, when anyone starts talking about anything like components in finite and absolute terms (and this happens frequently). That kind of thinking goes so far away from enjoying/sharing the hobby, and enjoying the music (an aspect of the hobby that brings us all together on common ground for the most part). It is the proverbial carrot on a stick...reaching out and never satisfied. The whole point of this stuff is to enjoy life(music). I dunno' but constantly reaching for something I can never attain is not an aspect of life I enjoy much. Don't get me wrong, I do like putting together a system and tweaking it to some extent so it enhances my enjoyment, but it is not a relentless pursuit for me. So that's a long way around saying that the kind of arrogance Howard describes does really bug me. It probably alienates allot of folks from enjoying, and or considering our hobby, and thus isolates all of us that much more from the general public who already thinks we're nuts...and I know you know they're all quite right ;-)

What I think this hobby needs is more noble ambassadors the likes of Albert Porter, the late Patrick Malone, and many others here on this site, and contributing to this thread, who are happy to have the opportunity to share their enthusiasm for audio gear and music, without any ego attachments or expectations that others will embrace their own personal choices/preferences. A few good men (and one or two ladies too) to pass on the baton to you young folks, many of whom don't even know what an LP is. Unfortunately you will have to weed through some input from the opposite end of the spectrum as well, but hey, that's life.

As far as technology and the gear; If the demand is there, and I do think it will be, there will always be someone out there making and improving upon the goods to meet that demand.

Just keep on sharing your enthusiasm and it may just spread.

Marco