Is Smoking Really That Bad For Audio Equipment?

I have my friends over periodically, and some of them smoke. At the moment, I ask them to go outside to have a cigarette because I'm concerned that smoke will be bad for stereo equipment. I don't worry much about the smell because I have hardwood floors and minimal furniture, so there's not much to trap the smell. Does cigarette smoke damage speakers or does it get into audio equipment and leave residue on electrical connections, etc? I am curious whether there have been any incidents where cigarette smoke actually harmed someone's equipment?
firecracker_77
I'd be more worried about my lungs than the stereo.
But the equipment is not really harmed by such minimal occasional smoking. The problem is the heavy smoker with no ventilation. Stuff from such a place just plain stinks, and stinks bad.
Some folks are very sensitive about the smell of tobacco smoke, and they might complain about buying your stuff someday.
I personally would not allow smokers to smoke in my place.
(unless they wore a plastic baggie over their heads...)
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that the smoke might damage the speaker surrounds or leave a film on the electrical connectors. Your explanation makes sense, and I can understand why no one would want to purchase used equipment if it smelled like smoke.
I once bought an amp from a heavy smoker on Audiogon who claimed the amp was in "near-mint" condition and did not divulge that the amp was exposed to a lot of smoking. I'm telling you, the thing reeked and was disgusting. I had to take it all apart and clean it the best I could. I couldn't believe all the brown tar that came off it -- including the connectors... It was really upsetting.
If I see audio equipment smoking I unplug it immediately!!
It's very bad for audio equipment to be smoking!!