Point of diminishing returns

What does it mean?
macrojack
It means that once you've spent a certain amount of money on her, spending more money won't mean that you will get lucky more often.

Oops, I got off track.

It means that the marginal utility of the extra musical satisfaction is less than the marginal utility of other uses for your money.
And it's a really tricky concept when it comes to connoisseurs, which we audiophiles are.

Someone might argue that the Zu Definitions at $9,000 are not 3 times better than the Druids at $2800 and continue to say something about diminishing returns. But the Druid doesn't need to be 3x better (whatever that would mean), it just needs to be $6200 better to you, the prospective buyer. Now Zu might come out with a Super Signature Definition Gold, which has upgraded components and wiring and costs $16,000. While the Definitions may have been worth the extra $6200 over the Druids, you may feel that the new Super Signatures have reached that point of diminishing returns for you. But there will be someone out there for whom they will be worth the extra $7K.

We pay a ton for that last bit of refinement or that last half octave of bass. Whether it is worth it is a decision no one can make but each of us.
I read Drubin's explanation real fast and my head twisted off my shoulders and landed across the room. I went over, picked it up, put it back where it once was and came back to re-read the post slower. I'm still not sure I understand...oh well.
Macrojack:

A macroeconomics term. As explained to me in Economics 101 ... once ice cream is great; two ice creams are very good; five ice creams make you sick. In other words, the more you consume, the lesser the incremental utility (enjoyment) you get for your money.

An audio metaphor might be ... a $400 amplifier (think NAD C320BEE) gets you 85% of the utility/enjoyment that an amplifier would give you. A $2000 amplifier (think Creek Destiny) gets you 95% of the utility/enjoyment. That extra 10% utility would cost you $1600, as opposed to the first 85% would cost you (on average) less than $50 for each 10% utility. That's the law of diminishing returns, in a nutshell.

BTW, most things work this way.

REgards, Rich