restocking fees

More high end manufacturers are selling direct and offering home auditions, and many are charging restocking fees of up to 20%. I absolutely respect the right of any manufacturer to charge whatever he sees fit. It's expensive to have product in the field, and companies want to discourage tire kickers, but I see no reason to risk paying a restocking fee when the market offers me so many other choices. Do restocking fees discourage you from trying a product, or is the risk worth taking.
84audio
Mrtennis, one has to pay to play. There`s no free lunch. What does the dealer or mfg. do with an open carton?
hi porziob:

if the dealer provides a demo, there is no problem with reselling. in addition, the deom is at some point, broken in, which gives the listener a more accurate representation of what the component.

dealer's should have a demo of many of the products they carry to lend to (serious) customers.
20% restocking fee is a joke, thats basically telling me they dont want my buisiness.

02-24-09: Sthomas12321
20% restocking fee is a joke, thats basically telling me they dont want my buisiness.

Would you have any problem with the dealer reselling a returned piece of equipment as new factory sealed?

Would you be fine with that if you were the buyer of a returned item?