Will the ipod be the death of the CD?

Tonight on NBC News a segment on the final days of "Towers Records" closing. Record retailers are going out of busines because of the ipod and digital downloading of music from the internet.

There are some who say the CD will be gone in less than 5 years.

What the heck is ipod?

How is the sound quality?

Can I connect it to my 2ch audio system?

http://www.nme.com/news/ipod/25033
jea48
One thing it occured to me now to add to my previous post; as long as iPod playback is limited to the use of it's internal DAC to make the conversion to an analog signal, iPods will be a compromise in terms of any expectations of being an effective front-end to a high-end system. Apple did recently announce a digital/USB protocol that is supposed to be implemented which would enable getting a digital output from an iPod (perhaps). If that actually happens it would have very promising potential in terms of getting much better sound by using the iPod as a digital front-end source through a system.

Alternatively you can build a PC-based front end by ripping digital files to your computer at full or lossless resolution, using an external DAC. That method can certainly provide a very rewarding front-end and will give most CD players a run for their money. That method would certainly sound better than iPod playback.

As an addendum to T_Bone's recommendation of an additional head-amp for improved iPod listening; I've read a few reviews that put the Meier Audio $200 unit from Germany at the top of the heap for compact amplification. No experience myself with any of those units, but it may be a future investment as I do use my iPod frequently for similar purposes as Albert does. Vinnie, over at Red Wine Audio does do a modification to the iPod's line-out circuit that is supposedly an improvement over the stock circuit. I believe it's received some favorable press but I have no experience with it.

Marco
You could very well see the dumping of CDs as we did with vinyl. I for one have found great bargains not only with my vinyl addiction but also with used CDs in thrift and believe it or not pawn shops. Many Telarc and reference recording have been found, along with other's for about two dollars or less.
Forget about IPOD replacing CD, it's ruining the audiophile hobby as we know it! Think I'm over-reacting? I predict that each succeeding generation will have less and less inclination to sit in front of a properly set up system and just plain listen. Wish I was wrong but I believe this to be true!:(
Unfortunately most people are not that aware or are indifferent to the difference in sound quality. This might put high end sound behind the eight ball again some day. Honestly, there is a lot of music recorded to CD now that has lousy production and a lot of compression. This hobby is still a pretty small one considering how many people listen to music witheout thinking too awful much about the sound. We are to a large extend at the mercy of the industry already.
I agree with Chazro with his assessment about many young people sitting and listening to music and truly reflecting and trying their best to understand what a composer is saying. What with the short attention span in many and with the lost art of what constitutes good music. I believe convenience will win out the day.