Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I keep my car radio on the local jazz station which is owned by the Minneapolis School Board.
They put high school jazz ensembles on air that are unreal
good players.
Jazz is alive and well in the Twin Cities, you can catch local trios etc which are well worth hearing 7 days a week
and the famous Dakota Club is usually full.
ALL kinds of music do well here, I think the fact that this is the epi-center of the world in Choral music has a LOT to do with that.

Alex I have Howard in my record collection on a guitar compilation. Here's a tune he did that I like; it's Herby Hancock's "dolphin Dance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H906Iusn1sc

I want to thank you once again for giving us the treat of hearing another great undersung musician. Here he is live;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76NVQjwRR0

Enjoy the music.
Frogman, on the NPR program "Performance Today" this day there was a stupendous live performance by a student Sax Qt. from the Jacobs School at Indiana University.

They play all genres but today did the Bach Italian Concerto
BWV 971.
All the contrapuntal elements were there, the lines as well
and the barry laid down a ground that I would have thought impossible on a Sax.
They go by "Kenari Qt." and have a download on PT as well as a click to listen on right side, at least for today.
It would be a real treat to hear what you think of them !
*****This young kid can swing his ass off like there's no tomorrow; great player!******

The problem is, as I have said 3,025 times, Right next to 'Paterson' on the CD rack, is Peterson, Powell, Previn and even Don Pullen :) etc......... Why buy Paterson?

To compete against that group, You gotta be exceptional, and be exceptional more than just once.

This is something ALL artist face in this age of recorded music. Esp Jazz and Classical composers. The Masters never go away. Never die. They are as near as your computer / Amazon.

Cheers