Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

My best friends brother wanted to become a concert pianist, so his parents bought a baby grand piano. Hobart practiced diligently, and every time he practiced, the next door neighbor would come over and watch him in mesmerized awe. After Hobart finished, the neighbor would sit down and repeat him note for note; that was amazing beyond belief.

Hobart went to Juilliard, got his degree in music and became a teacher. The next door neighbor became a jazz musician and was a star in St. Louis. The cat could jam, and I went to most of his performances over the years he played, until substance abuse cut him down.

I never heard Hobart play, and my friend, his brother said he was into classical and taught music but didn't perform. Over the years Hobart lived an affluent life style; skiing, vacationing in Europe, bought a boat and retired in Florida after he left New York where he taught music.

Although being a "jazz musician" never came up in Hobart's life, the fact that he never performed tells me he couldn't have been a jazz musician even if he wanted to. I said all of this to say that as fans we don't seem to realize how special a good jazz musician is; they're born, not made. No amount of study or practice will enable a person to improvise at the level of a good jazz musician, and no matter how financially successful some other musicians are, a jazz musician knows within himself that he can do something very few people can do, and no way can they learn how to do it. Financial success does not equate to being a good jazz musician and being able to rapidly improvise good sounding music; "either you got it or you don't".

Enjoy the music.

Acman, could you please put more time into your posts; I don't know if I agree or disagree, they leave me hanging.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I listened to Geri Allen and I thought the music was quite pleasant; it was kind of like "Cream of Wheat" or "Oatmeal", both are pretty good if you put enough butter and sugar on them.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I put "Random Abstract" by Branford into the player, and that's just how it sounded, both random and abstract, and that also describes my musical day so far, I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Enjoy the music.
Orpheus 10, wise words , but the best improvisers have mastered the "rules" first .