Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I think the Bobby Timmons Trio's are the best for focusing exclusively on his music.

The most amazing thing about his music, was it's instant ability to communicate even without words; take "Moanin" for example; somehow I heard the words before "Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross" sang it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXi8bs6PSw

Whatever the art, the bottom line is "communication". Bobby Timmons music was uncomplicated and it communicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTsU_xoNyMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEnbXVqQ1go

Bobby was not economically successful for a number of reasons that are too depressing to go into, and one of them was drug addiction. Heroin was very expensive, and it turned a man into a slave. While some jazz musicians had such heavy psychological baggage that it's possible they would have used drugs whether they were musicians or not (Bird and Lady Day) others, such as Bobby Timmons had no such baggage, neither did Tina Brooks; I'm referring to the sociological background. I suspect the availability of drugs in New York and the influence of other musician addicts precipitated their use of drugs. One time and a person is hooked, there's no turning back, and then there's the living death before actual death. In regard to music, they couldn't play "Jingle Bells" when they got high; it always amounted to a "no show". Fortunately, that problem is not prevalent with today's musicians.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I can understand a musicians need to make an effort to hear the music, especially if he had to teach as well; I was referring to my listening room, a place designed for relaxation.

Coltrane, "My Favorite Things" is so timeless; it sounds as good today as when I first heard it. McCoy Tyner's solo was even better. They didn't have Eric on that set, he adds an interesting touch.

This is the third and best variation of this tune by Trane that I've heard, it never got too far out.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

I decided to try "This Here Is Bobby Timmons". His stuff is getting to be expensive on Amazon.

Found this one in my collection. they were really Young when this was recorded. Great notes by Cannonball. He speaks of these guys as if he is introducing them to most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazM1KlaImY

Cannonball also said this:

"Modern Jazz obviously cannot and will not stand still. Modern Jazz traditionalists must realize that the music of Bird is only a logical stepwise development of that which has gone on before. Conversely, the Avant-garde cannot expect basic stylistic changes to develop among mature players through artifical stimuli; for the hysterical cry for change tends to give sancturary to charlatans."

May be a little dated, but the last sentence is still very true!!

Cheers
The whole paragraph is true, not just the last sentence. Jazz can never stand still, and in this constant movement there is bound to be mistakes and successes. Anything truly free to change will do that. It will be messy,like the people playing it and listening to it, but to make rules to protect it is, ironically, the only thing that can kill it. The people claiming to save it, will be the one's who put it in a museum for preservation.