Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, The Sidewinder is a 1964 album by the jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan, recorded at the Van Gelder Studio in Englewood, New Jersey, USA. It was released on the Blue Note label as BLP 4157 and BST 84157.

The title track, "The Sidewinder", was one of the defining recordings of the soul jazz genre, becoming a jazz standard. An edited version was released as a single.

The album became a huge seller, and highly influential - many subsequent Morgan albums, and other Blue Note discs, would duplicate (or approximate) this album's format, by following a long, funky opening blues with a handful of conventional hard bop tunes. Record producer Michael Cuscuna recalls the unexpected success: "the company issued only 4,000 copies upon release. Needless to say, they ran out of stock in three or four days. And 'The Sidewinder' became a runaway smash making the pop 100 charts." By January 1965, the album had reached No. 25 on the Billboard chart. The title track was used as the music in a Chrysler television advertisement and as a theme for television shows.

Enjoy the music

Well aficionados, as much as we liked those decades, it's time to move on to the 70's, and examine that decade in detail.

There was a problem that began in the 70's, and continued on until this very day; "Is it is, or is it ain't jazz"? I might like this music, and that music; whether or not they are both jazz, I'll leave to the "jazz identifiers". While "Wikipedia" might consider them both jazz, some aficionados wont.

I'm going to begin this discussion with two artists whose music is clearly jazz. "Gato" ushered in the 70's with a new sound that blended South America with modern jazz. Grover Washington Junior came on the scene like a blinding light; while some nit picking aficionados found fault with Grover's music because he was too popular, it suited me just fine.

Let us begin with Gato; I have most of his records from 69 on into the present, and "The Third World" was the first album I acquired; it sounds like the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5XcEi8cvc

I began with Grover in 1970, and continued buying his albums all the way until his death. Let me began with "Inner City Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLncRYHH4qI

Enjoy the music.
Gato, 'The third World'.
People have been arrested for less. Soundwave generators. Not Music.
I confess to having at least one of his LPs. WTF was I thinking!

GroverWashington: "Inner cityt blues"
Not a bad player. Made enjoyable music. During the first heart transplant or artifical heart implant in the US, the Doctor had his "Inside Moves" piped into the OR. Not Jazz.
Again, I confess to having some of his stuff. "Then and Now" and "Mister Magic" on CD. Also the Pop CD "Winelight".

Soon you people will tire of trying to re-define the music.
I am afraid I'll have nothing to contribute. May I please remain in 50's and 60's? I have not reached the music of 70's yet, somehow I feel I would not at all. I'll just repeat my last posting, Orpheus, maybe it will make you reconsider and return back 'on the track'...

http://youtu.be/ftRd77HPpEs

http://youtu.be/-jdSgSSciM0
O-10, I confess to not being aware of the fact that some jukeboxes played jazz records during the 50s and 60s. Some quick research showed that Blue Note released many titles as 45 rpm singles. Who knew? I didnt. Well before my time. You guys must be really old :-) Thanks for enlightenjng me about this.