Observations on Audiogon Posts

There has been something that disturbs me about the posts I see on Audiogon. I am specifically talking about the posts that ask members to make suggestion's on equipment.

Here is the problem I have. I rarely (and I mean I can count on one hand the number of times) see people post what kind of sound they are looking for. Instead people ask if such and such a piece will sound good with these other twenty pieces in their systems. What's the problem? Well, how do we know what you are looking for? Is sound-staging the most important thing to you? For some people it is. Do you like a forward aggressive sounding presentation or do you like a more laid back sound? Is musicality the most important thing to you? Do you want a system that produces accurate timbres? Knowing what you're looking for can save you thousands on equipment that doesn't fit you're criteria. It also helps us in making suggestions.

It seems to me that if more of us spent more time on what we are trying to get from our systems then on what brands we should buy we would all be a lot happier.

Just some food for thought.
nrostov
I think that this and other online forums can be a hugely valuable tool because it gives a person access to the experience of the collective. I think the most valuable use of audiogon is in the actual research leading up to a purchase, not just validation. This is where you can find equipment to stay away from or if there is a new model, an upgrade, etc. I see a lot of posts from people wanting to learn, asking good questions, and I am sure they are studying the archives trying to optimize how they invest in a good audio system.
One should also read the posts mr t in addition to understanding the adjectives.

I have reread mine twice and did not find warmth and transparency adjectives mentioned together. I did even see the word "transparency" mentioned at all. I did see "warmth with fast transients" which are not in my opinion contradictory. I also said "neutral clarity" in decribing cable which means to me a cable that transmits signal with minimal alteration.

Also there are adjectives that can be very subjective as far as meaning from one to another. Not everyone has an ADOA (audio dictionary of adjectives) to describe specifically with precise meaning the auditory experience for them exactly to every reader.

It goes to make the point in the difference of reading about audio versus hearing it.
Hey Everyone,

I think that everyone of these posts has something interesting to say.

I put this post up so hopefully some newbies will read it and start thinking about it.

I would also like to point out that I am well aware that a lot of people don't know what they are looking for. I understand why they ask about gear. However, I have also noticed that a lot of us don't take the time to say "Hey what kind of sound are you trying to achieve?" I can't tell you how many posts I have read where 50 people respond to some newbie with 50 different opinions and it's all about the gear. If I was new at this hobby or not that well educated I would be so confused.

Lastly, I (and probably a lot others) spent a lot of money(thousands) on gear because other people said it was the best. I had no clue what I wanted. I put up this post so people would think about it and maybe, just maybe, it can save someone some money.
Good points made above.

While it's smart to have an idea of the sound one wants, I agree that the goal is sometimes a moving target, and we often don't know it until we hear it. Worse still, it's tempting to mess with a good thing when we've found it. That's the definition of Audiophilia Nervosa.

Part of this obsession unfortunately involves diving in without knowing all the facts, because the other part of this obsession is an art (o the elusive "synergy")...and the facts don't necessarily translate into art.

The result is a necessary period of trying and swapping system elements. It's the unavoidable learning curve.

However, with some homework the curve can be flattened.

My curve has been steep. I have recently purchased new loudspeakers, and I have gone straight to the speaker builder for his amplification and wire recommendations. Thus far, he has provided good advice, but I also have a couple of ideas of my own to try.

I believe asking the manufacturers is a good method to employ, especially when matching amplification to speakers, and particularly if the speaker builder is a smaller operation (not sure B&W or a similarly sized manufacturer would provide the same service)). It also may not be quite as effective if matching speakers to amplification (if the amp was purchased first).
All good answers ( even my own )..I guess the thing we have to keep in mind is that we ( Audiogon folk ) are a family of sort and I for one get a kick at helping someone if I can..I have been buying equipment for 40 years and though I certainly don't anywhere near know it all.I feel that sometimes I can help and it does feel good to help a fellow Audiophile..