Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Never cared much for Herbie Mann, and whatever one wants to call Herbie's "Headhunters", that record is killer, incredibly influential, and that band was on fire. If Herbie's playing on "Sly" doesn't show what a genius he is, I don't know what would.
If I might intrude (thread watcher but not a jazz aficionado) - what are opinions about Soft Machine (e.g., '5')? This is a hugely long thread so apologies if they've already been discussed. Very curious what the usual suspects posting here think!

Now we can go into the eighties: Pat Metheney, George Adams, Stanley Jordan, Bobby McFerrin, David Sanborn, John Scofield, plus the Marsalis Brothers are some of the names that came into prominence during that decade.

I said Wynton Marsalis was the best trumpet player ever when I first heard him. That was when he was a sideman, and before he came out with his first album. I sold all his albums I acquired because they lacked "originality", the key ingredient for something new. While that certainly didn't detract from his trumpet playing skills, those albums indicated his individual music making skills were lacking.

Me and nobody else ever said Wynton couldn't play the trumpet, he just can't compose music; those are two entirely different skills, as long as the music isn't his, it's just fine.

You can give us examples of that decade, or share whatever you choose to share with us.

Enjoy the music.
Is that it? For the 70s? We haven't even scratched the surface. Personally, I think that is a problem with this thread. We move way too quickly through an era and a style and don't dig nearly deep enough. I think that is why some of the stereotypes about genres and styles hang us up. One man's opinion.
I am not a big Bitches Brew fan like many are and do not like the turn Miles Davis' music and a lot of Jazz took after that although I think things have gotten better again since.

Not to say BB was not good and has a lot to offer jazz-wise. Just that its not one of my favorite cups-of-tea.