Buying from Canada a hassle for you too?

I have had 3 nightmare transactions from Canada.
This ,I hope is not a reflection on Canadian Agon members,however, issues exist like never before.
I had a CD PLAYER held up at customs for 1 month by the FDA claiming it contained consumable goods.
I know the US does not want our senior citizens getting discounts on prescription drugs they need,therefore,everything must be getting delayed.

I can ship/get shipments from/to China,Russia and the Middle East easier and faster than Canada.

I guess it shows where our security priority is.

It's okay to mess with us just don't mess with those Pharmaceutical companies.

There is one common thing that does seem to occur with shipments fronm Canada.

And that is, they definately take their time shipping things to us.

I think most US Agon members try to ship the item as soon as they are paid or maybe a day or 2 later.

Canadian members like to take a week or so and then ship the item in a different manner than arranged.

These have been my experiences anyway.

I need to hear other stories,as I soon may not deal with Canada if this is the new norm
darealjaydee
Riffer, my experience is quite similar to yours. Postal shipments seem to get through with fewer fees and hassles, sometimes none at all. Ground courier shipments (I have only used FedEx) get delayed and dinged.

Courier shipments by air seem to be fastest and most fee-free of all. However they are also the most expensive.
It arrived yesterday in a local post office. I had to pick it up today, and now I got it.
Big relief. There was no extra tarrif or import tax.
It was shipped last Wednesday from Toronto to Michigan.
It was not super fast, but not super slow either.
Overall, it worked out good.
Again, the service used was Expedited USA from Canada Post.
I'm putting together my first high end system, heck I haven't had a system of any type in the last twenty five years or so. Audiogon is great!

I have a pair of Gemme Audio speakers on the way from Canada to Washington right now. They were delayed a day at the border awaiting an input from me. Not bad. I did decide not to buy a Simaudio integrated from a north of the border Audiogoner because I could not determine what the actual cost would end up to be.

As I read through this thread the thought occured to me that the knowledge base is right here for a faq to help ensure smooth transactions across our common border.

What forms to fill out. What to expect to pay duty on. What percentage duty collected. etc. I'm sure folks with more experience will think of other answers that should be included.
I've had several speaker shipments from canada, via DHL to california, only to get nailed for 7.75% taxes AFTER TWO YEARS had past the delivery date(s). Any taxes didn't even occur to me prior to making the purchase. OUCH!!!
Three of the four shipments were damaged and returned/exchanged, so it hardly seems worth the added expense and claims hassle(s).