Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Chazro, I Went back over the postings to see if you ever posted anything unrelated to your love affair with Rok, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you made some worth while contributions.

"Birds got to fly, fish got to swim"; by now, everyone should know that Rok's got be Rok's.

I'm not saying that is good or bad; I'm saying this is the "jazz show", and not the "Rok show", but it's being turned into "The Rok Show".

When two guys are rolling in the mud, it's hard to tell the good guy from the bad guy.

Enjoy the music.

O-10, I always appreciate your attempts to bring calm to the proceedings here. You are correct, we do know that Rok's gotta be Rok; same as everyone. I would say that Rok insists on being Rok with little interest in filtering his comments; comments which are, at worst, sarcastic, provocative and disrespectful of those he addresses or their message; and sometimes completely out of touch with the reality of the subject we try to discuss. Case in point, and I use a personal example only because it's recent:

To suggest that Michael Brecker, a player that just about every current significant musician and critic considers to have been if not the, then certainly one of the most influential jazz saxophonists since John Coltrane, has contributed no more to jazz than a classical trumpet player is so ridiculous that it transcends being an expression of personal taste and should be considered nothing more than provocative rabble rousing. We all post on the thread because we feel passionate about this music . There is clearly room for different opinions and viewpoints, but I don't think that anyone should have to endure the kind of sniping that he routinely does without reacting. The net effect of Rok "being Rok" is the derailment of the discussion into "the mud" and the inevitable return to the Blue Note, Wynton, or Proms clips. As one of our contributors pointed out a while back it ends up feeling like a kind of bullying and return to "the Rok show". It's really a shame because of Rok's obvious and undeniable passion for ONE slice of the total pie. The pattern is as obvious as it is in the audio side of things: why participate in an audio forum if one is going to be so anti-audiophile and derisive towards the interests of others? The same can be said here.

Although I certainly would prefer not to, I can deal with occasional rolling in the mud with Rok; it doesn't change the facts. But obviously not everyone can or is willing to deal with the mud and its a shame that the thread loses interesting participants as a result. As I have done many times before, I would encourage Rok to reconsider his stance and his attitude. I know you're out there, Rok.
Aficionados:

I agree with the comments of O-10 and The Frogman, concerning my conduct. Message received and understood. My apologies to all.

Cheers

Frogman, could you re-post 03-10-15 links "No discussion of 70's fusion would be complete without........"

I'll respond after I give them a listen, and since you prefer in depth responses, that's what I'll give them.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, no discussion of 70s fusion would be complete without a look (listen) at two of the fusion bands which leaned more to the rock side of things (although I would imagine not to the side of Rok):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4yAk6qYUs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32QDL63rmgw

The great jazz drummer, and Mahavishnu Orch. member, Billy Cobham would go on to record this fusion record which was the first time I heard the incredible Michael Brecker; perhaps the greatest saxophone virtuouso to ever live (really!) and who would become the voice of fusion saxophone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-b_h8i9eWU