Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, While your first post fits the definition of jazz, Michael Brecker does not fit the definition of fusion, even by your own definition which was rock and jazz.

Enjoy the music.

What's the matter Rok, the cat's got your tongue? Don't come back until you can explain that expression, I never understood it.

Enjoy the music.
Huh? Why not? Please explain. My post was meant to highlight the band not just Brecker, and Steps Ahead was most certainly a fusion band. While I don't consider Wiki to be be definitive, look at their description of the band. More importantly, their music most definitely has strong rock, as well as jazz, elements. What, then, do you consider their music to be? Brecker, as well as being a fantastic straight ahead jazz player is considered the greatest of the fusion tenor players. Most importantly, I am very interested in why you don't consider Brecker a fusion player; after all Rok said he was and nothing more :-)

O-10, no need for con-fusion; while a marriage of any two styles can be called a fusion, its probably wise to keep the term to mean jazz-rock fusion which is as most understand it.

Frogman, I'm now confused more than ever? We can skip what Rok said, nothing I heard fits your definition of fusion.

Enjoy the music.

In case you don't remember the 80's, I'll give you a few names to get things started. George Adams was a passionate voice in Charles Mingus last band 1973 - 76. He can be heard on "Live At The Village Vanguard", tenor sax and flute.

Some of the names from the 80's are: Steve Coleman, alto sax; Paquito D' Rivera, sax and clarinet; Stanley Jordan, guitar; Bobby McFerrin, vocalist; David Sanborn, alto sax; John Scofield, guitar, and the Yellowjackets, an instrumental group. Here's one that caught my ear by the "Yellowjackets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVk-SDy8cA

These are just some names to help you get started, I'm sure you have favorites that you wish to add.

Enjoy the music