Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, I remember the 80's well; a lot of great music from that decade. I have always liked the Yellowjackets. I particularly like their work since the great Bob Mintzer replaced Mark Russo. Bob is one of the most talented individuals on the scene today; fantastic saxophone/multi reed player and composer/arranger who leads his own big band.

I am still curious as to what you consider the music of Steps Ahead to be, if not fusion? What would you call the music of the Yellowjackets; also considered a fusion group? Here's an interesting comparison which points to the great influence that Steps Ahead had on the fusion scene. Here's your clip of the Yellow Jackets (with Mintzer) and recorded in 1987:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVk-SDy8cA

2 1/2 years earlier (1984) Steps Ahead had recorded this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9kW-8NPqs

A little influence; maybe? :-)
Acman3, great stuff! You're right, Mike Stern kills on that clip. I love his playing. One of the few fusion players who doesn't sanitize his tone too much and keeps some rock&roll rawness and attitude; combined with the improvisational sophistication of a jazz player. Had never heard Michael Urbaniak playing electronic wind instrument; didn't even know he did and knew him only as an electric violinist. Thanks.

Michael Brecker on electronic wind instrument with Mike Stern (1987):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opOUa1KcvBw
Lighthouse Allstars.

Back in 1955 & 1956 when I was in high school, a buddy of mine and I used to go to the Lighthouse jazz club in Hermosa Beach (California) a couple of nights a week to hear Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse Allstars. Rumsey on bass, Conti Candoli on trumpet, Bob Cooper on tenor, Bud Shank on alto, Claude Williamson on piano and Stan Levy on drums. I have all of their album and they are among my favorites. West Coast jazz at its very best.

Cal Tjader is another favorite of mine. Personally, I think he was the best of the vibes players. I have a lot of Tjader's albums.

Cannonball Adderley.

Adderley always played with such inspiration. He literally makes the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" album come alive. Until Cannonball takes the third solo on that album, it was, in my opinion, just another studio recording by guys who came to work that day to make a buck. Adderley showed them the way ... and as a result, this has become one of the best selling jazz album of all time, right up there with Bruebeck's "Time Out."

Any Harold Land fans in here??