Why is the industry so lame?

I'm a 40+ audiophile who just can't understand why the industry is so tied to the past. Countless audio manufacturers will eventually go the way of the buggy makers if this continues. Consider:

In 1998 the Diamond Rio was introduced and Diamond was sued by the RIAA.
In 2001, the Ipod was introduced and it held 1000 songs.
In January 2003 Flac was introduced.
In 2003, Sonos was founded.
In November 2003 the Squeezebox was introduced.
In April 2004 Apple introduced its own lossless codec.
In 2005, Apple sold over 20MM Ipods for the first time.
In December 2007, Apple sells its 125 Millionth Ipod.

As we head into 2008, this is where the industry finds itself:

A growing number of mfrs now have proprietary Ipod docks to enhance their revenues to the tune of $100-300.

Krell now has a dock dubbed the KID that includes a preamp for about $1300. Matching power amp TBD.

The vast majority of preamplifiers have no DAC or DAC option.

Bryston and Naim have integrated DAC's into one of their integrated amplifiers (Bryston's is an option).

Only Outlaw has a 2 channel receiver with built-in DAC.

Rather than seeing the emerging new technology as something to be embraced the entire industry seems to regard it as something to ridicule. Sure, not everyone wants a DAC in their amp but how many are buying $2500 CD transports these days or even $1000 phono cartridges.

When will the industry wake up and smell the coffee?
wdrazek
Hack: You and I are of about the same vintage. I was born just before the end of the 50's. We are not far apart in our thinking, though.

I don't delve into the analog vs. digital fray because I switched to digital back in the late 80's. Maybe that reveals my bias for ease of use, but in any case....

It is sad that the industry hasn't given us a format (with its marketing muscle behind it) that tops what was available almost 30 years ago when the 16 bit 44.1k standard was adopted. We should have digital resolution light years ahead of that standardized by now. I remember 360k one sided 5 1/4 floppies and the like in college. The CD resolution standard was developed several years before that.

With SACD and DVD-A flopping (like HDCD before them) we are left with analog and the CD standard. Everything else is pretty small potatoes.

The industry has accepted CD as a legitimate. Rega was probably the last to succumb in the late 90's. ARC, CJ, ML, Krell and others did before.

So, lossless or WAV files if you want to be a purist represent a benchmark that has been accepted in the high end (save maybe Goldmund and a few other mfrs).

Several, including J Atkinson of Stereophile and R Harley of TAS have said that a computer driven lossless file properly reproduced is equal if not superior to a CD in sound quality. Even at the highest level of the high end. My opinions of these editors and their biases I'll reserve for now.

A few renegades in the '70's (ARC, CJ, ML, Krell, Linn to name a few) were singing their own tune when the rest of the industry went to transistors and direct drive tables with high power/ great specs/ lousy sound. A few, like JGH of Stereophile and HP of TAS called a spade a spade. The market realized these mfrs had something special and rewarded them.

Today the market has seen a move from vinyl to CD to digital formats as noted above. The opportunity to stream this source material across the home exists. Not just one room but many can have source material equal or better than the quality from a CD playback system.

So, why won't the heavies who began the High End revolution in tyhe 1970's wake up and realize that they have a bona fide opportunity here?

Please, help make this happen. Incorporate wifi and DAC's to enable a whole house music of high quality? Think of the opportunity - multiple amps instead of one, multiple speaker pairs instead of one... the opportunities go on.
Nothing wrong with LPs - those who do it have their reasons. But the fact is that the huge majority of the music buying/using public goes for CDs. The digital technology makes the best of the format. No one is arguing that it will replace LPs
I hope this clarifies it somewhat. If not, message me and I'll try to provide greater focus since I'm the OP. Anyone else, please jump in....

Over 125MM Ipods have been sold in the last 6 years. Stop and think about that for a minute.. How many turntables, high end CD player or transports in that time? Every Ipod is hooked up to a computer. They have the potential to stream this music all over the house. And, lossless digital codecs have been available for FOR 5 YEARS NOW!!!

BUT the industry as a whole still treats all digitally stored media with disdain like it is nothing more than crappy 128k MP3 files.

The potential for streaming high quality playback exists throughout the home, but the industry has ignored it.

Mass market products from $500 AVR's on up have built-in DAC's and some even have built-in wifi.

But all the mainstream hifi industry does to capitalize on this is to sell $1-200 proprietary Ipod docks and keep its head in the sand.

They could build DAC's into integrated amps but only Naim and Bryston do it (Bryston as an option). They could build them into preamps but who does? They could build them into receivers but Music Hall and Outlaw are the only ones in the game.

The industry is not in great shape and it's easy to see why. They have lost sight of the customer.