Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Acman, I'm glad you took the argument head on because all of your recent posts have been quite original. Something stuck in my my mind from a past post, but let's call that irrelevant.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I'm dealing with some urgent issues at the moment, but I will get back to you in regard to Billy Bang and "Chan Chan".

Enjoy the music.

Acman, never heard of Ronald Shannon Jackson, or "Yugo Boy", but I thought it was boss.
Jack DeJohnette,Lester Bowie with Abercrombie and Gomez. The theme is called 'Silver Hollow' from JDJ album 'New directions' from 1978.

https://youtu.be/YVjX1EhNbLw

I certainly like the 'old directions' more, but have this in my collection.
I belleive that every music style reflects certain aspect of some particular moment in time, it represents it, or maybe it is a witness of time, like a architecture is.
There are many different reasons that are creating the esthetics of some period, both economic and social, and aldo we have tendency to call that long stretch of music with a same name as 'jazz', there is no doubt in my mind that we are speaking about almost totaly different styles of music, that indeed share same roots, but still are different, like the architecture is, or mind frame of the people of anothere era, fashion or almost any other social or intellectual aspect is.
For this reason every music era or style is basicly unrepatable and there is no point searching for it in later times, not there is sense in pointing in 'new' ones and think of them as a 'same but better' or 'evolved' thing. I belleive that classical music is much more clear on that subject, aldo with advantage of much longer time frame and those distinctions we can see or hear much bettter