Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I have many "Windham Hill" recordings and they are all of excellent audio quality. "Shadofax" is my favorite group on that label. Tuck and Patti were quite popular when they came on the scene. I'll see what I can find by them in my collection. Thanks for a nice contribution, I liked it.

Enjoy the music
Please consider this an addendum to my "last" post. My comments about not continuing to post about the music stand, but I feel that some other recent comments should be addressed in order to help clarify my position. Moreover, my vacillation between "leave well enough alone" and "go ahead and try and clarify" was decided by Acman3's most recent post, which points to what, for me, is one of the main issues.

I have suggested on several occasions that we should "dig deeper" in our views about the music and not base so much purely on "subjective" reaction, but try to have more of a balance between the subjective and the objective. This, as a way to help keep a more open mind about jazz, any music, and art in general; and, as a way to understand something that is key and is one of the things at the core of what the practitioners of any art form value: a more inclusive, open-minded view of art and the principle that art doesn't stand still and that, like it or not, there is good art at any point in history. While it may strike some as grandiose or even self-serving to keep trying to drive that point home, the irony of the chasm (as concerns this point) between the mindset of many listeners and practically all practitioners is too great to ignore. As Alexatpos points out, sometimes the realization comes slowly. As has also been pointed out there are times when it's best to leave well enough alone, because to continue to drive certain points home can serve to only sink matters deeper into resistance to the idea.

What I meant by alluding to Acman3's post is this; and I hope that, if anything, this is the "take-away" of this most recent exchange of comments which will hopefully serve to help participants have better and more focused "conversations" without so much diversion into arguments:

One of the main obstacles in these discussions has been a lack of focus clarity in the way that ideas are presented. I realize that this format is limiting and everyone has different writing styles; but, I just don't feel that enough effort is put into being clear and succinct with commentary and not enough "follow-through" with ideas proposed. I think this causes a certain confusion. Examples:

O-10, if there has been any "misinterpretation" of your comments by me (I don't believe there has been), where has the clarification been? I have asked specific questions, wether it be about the supposed "filler" on current recordings or about your comments about the supposed lack of relationship between European Classical and Jazz and there has been no response. Additionally, in your most recent post you make a comment that suggests that you based your comment about "filler" on one (!!) recent record purchase. If that is the case (I suspect not), is that really reason enough to make a general comment about new artists' recordings? Rok would call my need for clarification as creating a "strawman"; I don't think so. I think that there is a tendency to let the less than open-minded attitude to creep into the style of the discussions as well as our views of the music. Comments are made that buttress one's point of view and are then held as a type of gospel without being willing to "follow-through" and explain, or really discuss. As I said, Acman3's post was what prompted me to make this "addendum" because it is a great example of what I mean and I had the same reaction as he did:

Concensus? Really?? Seems to me that on this thread there is anything but a concensus about the relevance of "old vs new" music; certainly not, if one does the math re the number of participants who hold each point of view. I would say it's pretty much split down the middle. I will admit that now, in my absence, Acman3, Chazro, Mapman, and others may be at a "disadvantage" as concerns the numbers :-) I make light of it, but it should not be about advantage or disadvantage. Rok often points to the "intent" expressed in the OP. Fair enough, but it should be remembered that the OP also intends to "review" and, as such, comments purporting to be authoritative should be accompanied by substantiation; or, in its absence, a willingness to be open to, and truly consider, the comments of those offering subtantiation. I truly do hope the thread thrives and I hope my comments, which will inevitably be construed as self-serving or arrogant by some, are meant to encourage a better platform for the sharing and discussion of the greatness of the music. In my view, this thread, as interesting as it has been so far, has only scratched the surface of that greatness and all that there is to know and love about it.

Best to all and good listening.
Yiippeee!!! I won the "how long will he stay away" betting pool. I selected less than 24 hours!! My prize? I won all, and I mean ALL, of the OP's Kenny G collection.

A suggestion to The Frogman, if I may be so bold.

You should submit music that you like, tell us why you like it. Daily. In English. From a pro's perspective. Examples of, sort ot thing. You seldom do this. Mostly, you react to, and comment on what others post. If you did this, communication would be greatly improved.

Keeping in mind, telling us that a piece is great or not great, does not mean we will agree. I am still pissed over the short shrift given the Bey sisters. An absolute outrage!

Welcome Back.

Cheers

Rok, in the process of looking for my favorite recordings on the "Windham Hill" label, I discovered that "Shadowfax" disbanded in 1995. The group formed in 1972 and disbanded after 1995 when Lyricon player and leader Chuck Greenberg died of a heart attack. Having lost their signature sound, Shadowfax's members went on to other projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1YtAjgKzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY0rA5W574

I have both of these albums. I must have acquired them about the time I began to diverge from exclusively buying albums that fell under the "jazz" genre. When it comes to current music I disregard genre altogether, meaning I just listen and let it happen. If the music resonates with my inner self, I buy it, if not, I leave it lay. I think that's about as "subjective" as I can get.

Frogman, could you explain how, and in what way: Mapman, Acman and Chazro are at a disadvantage?

Enjoy the music.