Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, in the process of looking for my favorite recordings on the "Windham Hill" label, I discovered that "Shadowfax" disbanded in 1995. The group formed in 1972 and disbanded after 1995 when Lyricon player and leader Chuck Greenberg died of a heart attack. Having lost their signature sound, Shadowfax's members went on to other projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1YtAjgKzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY0rA5W574

I have both of these albums. I must have acquired them about the time I began to diverge from exclusively buying albums that fell under the "jazz" genre. When it comes to current music I disregard genre altogether, meaning I just listen and let it happen. If the music resonates with my inner self, I buy it, if not, I leave it lay. I think that's about as "subjective" as I can get.

Frogman, could you explain how, and in what way: Mapman, Acman and Chazro are at a disadvantage?

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Shadowfax:
Excellent!! Enjoyed them both. I vaguely remember the name, but I don't own any of their stuff on CD.

This is legitimate music. If these cuts are representative of the entire CDs, I will look them up on Amazon.

I still don't understand the apparent need for visuals. These tunes stand on their own merit.

Re your Kenny G collection: What size U-Haul truck will I need?

Thanks for the Shadowfax clips.

Cheers

"New Age", now there's a genre we have not touched on at all. I stumbled on this when I began buying music without knowing or caring what the genre was; that's after I got fed up with all the "fusion". Andreas Vollenweider caught my attention in a big way; he looked so "Cherubic", behind that big harp, and he even sounded it. After catching him live, I was really hooked on his music.

He was at a big opera house that was seated to capacity, which was an indication I wasn't the only person hooked on Andreas's music. We had a mezzanine seat that put us right in the middle; it was like being in the middle of a gigantic speaker. I had two pair of binoculars so I could see the whole group or focus on any one musician; the percussionist for example had more chimes, gongs, and ancient drums than I could name. Andreas even had two harps and a koto (that's a Japanese harp that lays flat). Every musician in the band had more than one instrument.

Here are the musicians:

Andreas Vollenweider: Harp
Christoph Stiefel: Keyboards, Synthesizers
Pedro Haldemann: Bells
Walter Keiser: Drums
Jon Otis: Percussion
Max Laesser: Strings (Arranged the Silver Symphony Orchestra and Choir)
Matthias Ziegler: Woodwinds

Here is "Dancing With The Lion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtu9ZJtE0M&list=RDFEtu9ZJtE0M#t=115

"Down To The Moon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6aASTOglE

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

Andreas Vollenweider:
Both tunes nice and catchy. Both could have been played on regular Jazz instruments. I guess the ideal was to be other worldly. Nothing as common and earthly as a Tenor Sax. I liked his harp playing, in spite of myself. :)

Worth noting that their first performance was at a 'Jazz' festival. When they can't classify it, they throw it in with the Jazz music.

Your list of player credits, failed to give credit to the guy on Water!!

Nice atmospheric stuff. I consider it purposely manufactured. Since they call it "New Age", I can't complain about folks calling it Jazz.

Cheers