Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ramonron, long time jazz lover who never posted on this jazz thread, but now you voice a complaint echoing Frogman's complaint. You two guys are a match made in heaven, I'm eagerly awaiting your new thread; but if you didn't post on this one for over two years, I really don't think you have much to offer.

Maybe Frogman wont be so frustrated after you and he specify precisely what this new thread is going to be about; could it be "Watch another thread for over two years, and then complain when they don't write what you want". Frogman and Ramonron, that sounds like a dance team, I'm sure you'll make a good couple.

Enjoy your new thread.
O-10:

Dead Can Dance:

AWESOME! Some of these things work better than others. Wonderful music. The visuals were outstanding, and with such vivid colors!! A really good match of sounds and visuals. Is there a name for this type of art?

BTW, your opinion of Jacky Terrasson seems to be the prevailing opinion on several online sites. I guess he goes back on the shelf, right next to the Bey sisters. :(

Cheers
Ramonron:

Nice clips. I don't consider 1972 to be 'New-Jazz'. These clips fit right into the mainstream of what's normally posted on this thread. I was looking forward to your commentary. You didn't say anything.

After all that build-up about intellectual levels, I expected more insight. Here I was, sitting here, almost overcome with anticipation, stenographer's pad and pencil at the ready, and what do we get? Nothing. What's up with that?

Cheers
FYI:

The Polk 50% off sale ends tonight at midnight Pacific Time. Not a bad deal, esp on the LSIM705 / 707.

If you tell them you are an Audiophile, they will keep your purchase confidential. Ship in plain brown box.

Cheers