Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I call this "Bobby Timmons" jazz, it's just that unique; relaxed, soothing, and uncomplicated, but yet it reaches the depths of one's soul.

"Moanin" needs no words, the music communicates that low as you can go feeling, and there is nothing left to do but "Moan".

Keep em coming.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, when you heard Pee Wee Marquette on a record, you knew to get ready for some of the best jazz you had ever heard, and maybe that was the best "Jazz Messenger" group ever.

One can never have too many "Dat Dare's" or "Nica's Dreams"; now we know why one can never have too many "Nica's Dreams".

I'm sure you'll enjoy the music better than ever with your new Polk speakers.
O-10:

I have both of the MJQ CDs. The Swingle Singers disc I don't like. It's one of the type of discs I will use to justify buying the Mingus Box Set. :) It was a nice try, but no cigar. Not very good Jazz or Classical. Or at least it was not interesting enough.

Now I will have to revisit my 'Blues on Bach' album by MJQ to see if they fared any better there, with the classical tyhingy.

'Concorde' is owned by everyone calling themselves a Jazz lover. The MJQ creates a sound you never get tired of hearing. They play Exquisite Jazz, and 'softly as in a morning sunrise' is typical. They also look and act the part.

What's not to like??

I remember a guy from NYC I knew in college, introducing me to MJQ, and what he called 'Third Stream' Jazz. I don't think that worked out.

Cheers