Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Learsfool, there is an unbridgeable chasm between those who
love something for how it makes them feel and somebody who loves the thing itself.
If rationality could bridge the chasm they would never have been one in the first place.

Rok, we're going to have to find some kind of filter for "Mary LOU", because of the recording quality of so much of her music. This is going to require work; for example "Mary Lou's Mass" is a work of art, but the sonics wont cut it for me; but since it is a work of art, it's also recorded as a "Dance Thing", that would work if I could find a DVD where that's choreographed.

Rok, apparently there are two trains of thought on this thread; we have much more important things to to do. I've discovered a "gold mine" and we are going to mine it for what it's worth. Just as trains running in opposite direction pass on parallel tracks, we shall allow that train to proceed on to it's desired destination, without disturbing it.

Rok, this is an even greater Gold Mine than the last one we discovered, and I know we're both still enjoying that one. "Mary Lou's" incredible music is coming up short in the sonics department, but her music is so incredible in regard to "Blues and Soul", that it doesn't have to be her playing her music; it's just that powerful. While I mentioned blues and soul, the gal can bop too.

This is an example of her religious music that's so powerful, I vibrate when I look and listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1Rkf9LVAk

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

The first clip, Mary Lou's Mass was good. The second clip was flimed with a fixed camera from a long distnace. Not nearly as effective.

However, I must admit that I am not a fan of Modern Dance, esp in the absence of the Librettro. As usual, I am old School. 'Swan Lake' and 'The Nutcracker' are just about the limits of my dance appreciation.

I did notice that Mary Lou made several references to God and religion in Nica's book. Of course a lot of the other players did also. Different era I guess.

I did not get a chance to listen to Mary Lou or anyone else today. My Polks have failed. :( I know, I know, it's impossible to believe. But you can't say Polk is not high-end now. Beautiful product, very expensive, great sound and with a MTBF of about 20 minutes.

I am now waiting on a replacement tweeter, and magnetic grill. back in the lo-fi days, the stuff lasted forever.

I did get a chance to listen to some of' Dinah Jams'. Sounds like a fun disc. I recognized Maynard right away on 'Summertime'. No one else can play that high and that loud.

Dinah is not really a Jazz singer, but she does have a very unique voice. One of her most memorable lines to me, was from a CD with Brook Benton, when she says, as only she can, "one more time Brook". :) Love it.

Will be back in the net tomorrow. Will bring the Lsi15's back out.

Cheers