Has the internet been good for audio?

Before the internet, I'd go to 3 local stores and be a captive audience to whatever Stereophile told me. But now with the internet the retail stores have more competition and there are a lot more choices. Maybe too many. Some questions that run through my mind:
Is your system better because of the internet?
Was it worth the trouble?
What happens to the retail stores?
Were the simpler times better? I remember when Klipsch and Fried were the hot brands. From what I've been told, B&W actually made great speakers in the olden days.
cdc
The internet has been very good to me. For one thing, it has allowed me to continue being an active dealer even though I live in a small town.

I'd say about 3/4 of the sales I make depend on the buyer first being able to sell something to finance the purchase. Some dealers grumble about Audiogon, but if it weren't for Audiogon there are many sales I'd never make.

When I put on my manufacturer hat, the internet benefits me even more. I imagine myself to be sort of like that guy Gumbydammit is talking about, enabled by the internet to offer an alternative when otherwise the huge costs of an effective advertising campaign would have been an insurmountable barrier.

Duke
Yes, yes, yes, for equipment and software. As in any marketplace, the more information you have and the wider your net, the more realistic the prices are. It has done away with 'trade-ins', given exposure to new artists. In summary, it has made the 'hobby' much more enjoyable.
once you can tell the difference between advice and advertising, its all good.
I'd have probably lost interest in audio if not for the vast amount of info available on the internet.
The internet has the potential to reach and expose so many people to the audionerd world. So be nice!